Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 9th, 2016 20:00

8700 cannot reinstall windows 10

On restarting my system this evening, it would not boot--just the Dell logo with the spinning dots. I went ahead and tried to repair it with the Windows 10 USB but that did not work so I reset the system, first trying to save files and then having the system erased and reinstalling Windows 10.  After installing Windows I removed the USB and booted with the SSD. Now after displaying the basic information on keyboard and location and choosing express settings, the system says "Just a minute" with the spinning dots, resets the display and then reboots. That keeps happening. I tried going back to the Windows 8 USB and CD to restore the system to its original configuration but the keyboard just locks. I am running the bios level diagnostics which is in an interminable memory check that so far is passing.

I need some advice for further troubleshooting.

108 Posts

March 9th, 2016 20:00

The pre-boot diagnostics were fine. I just did not complete 30 more minutes of memory tests.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2016 23:00

Have you Fixed Yours???

Gistmack

108 Posts

March 10th, 2016 02:00

I think the msata drive has died.

108 Posts

March 10th, 2016 19:00

I tried a replacement msata drive. That did not work either. When I try to use the recovery and restore USB key, that crashes after the initial screen. I use the Windows 10 USB key and that loads but then when I try to reset the computer, I get an error that the drive with windows is locked if I try to keep files and then that there is a missing partition if I try to reset and erase files. I used a USB key from Partition Magic and check partitions but nothing there. I am stumped and am on the phone with Dell tech support. Does this sound like a motherboard problem?

No Events found!