Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2015 08:00

8700 card reader hardware error?

The card reader on my 8700 has worked fine for the last nearly two years. When I put a card in it last night the transfer was very slow and then after reseating it, it did not recognize the card. I subsequently went through the card driver reinstallation as described in messages on the board. When I ran the Dell diagnostics it did kept asking to put in a card. Retrying that with different cards did not work. So this seems to be a hardware problem and I am trying to get a replacement for the system versus just use an external reader. The one I have is pretty old and extremely slow so that will need to be replaced in any case. THoughts?

108 Posts

July 21st, 2015 18:00

For what it is worth, I replaced the card reader and it works fine. The part number is NHG51 (ASSY,CRD,CTL,MCR,19-1,8700) that I learned from a Dell Parts and Accessories Chat. The part itself was not available and I eventually purchased it on Amazon.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 21st, 2015 21:00

Hi dperry112,

Good work on troubleshooting. But before replacing the card reader you can update the BIOS on the system which would hard reset the hardware on the computer. I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 13:00

The card reader probably uses a USB connection on the motherboard. So are you having any issues with 'regular' USB devices connected to any USB port(s)? 

108 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 17:00

I did the bios update.  I tested another slot with a SD card and the system recognized the card and showed the contents.  No go with 4 separate CF cards.  I think that slot and the connector is not working..is the replacement part available?

108 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 17:00

No problem with other USB connections.  As I answered the reader can read SD cards just not CF cards.  Since the CF card is the only one my Canon7D uses, I need a reader for the CF card.

108 Posts

June 24th, 2015 17:00

Can I get a replacement card reader for the Dell 8700?

190 Posts

June 25th, 2015 09:00

Wow, I just saw this!!!!

I too JUST hit this!!!

Dell has 2 drivers available for this card reader, I assume you have the same 19-in-1 Realtek one. See http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-8700.html and look for the 2 FoxConn Icon Managers.

Mine was working fine but I rarely used it. Then 2 weeks ago when I removed an SD card via Safely Remove H/W and put a new card in, nothing happened and the Device disappeared in Explorer. Had to re-boot to get it back, but removing the card did the same thing.

Called Dell. They determined I had the OLDER driver installed. Removed it, put the newer one in. It worked BUT on every re-boot it would re-install the 4 devices. Not good. They tried everything they could to remove all traces of the driver. Never could fix it, so they 'assumed' I had failed H/W. Sent out the WRONG PART!!! They they tried again and found it back ordered with no delivery date. So they called and offered a USB 3.0 External Card reader. I agreed. A few days later they called and they want to REPLACE my computer. Had asked for my Service Tag, Express # and my UID and P/W on the computer. NO WAY will I give that up. Plus over a years worth of data and programs and added h/w installed. They couldn't even assure me it would be an identical system so I could restore my back-ups. Said they had other reports like mine and needed a system with the problem to debug. I don't understand why no delivery date on the h/w, isn't this still going in new systems? Still I declined and was sent the ext. device.

I got the USB device and it is NOT a 19-in-1, can't handle Compact Flash cards it seems, but since it is USB 3.0 vs. the Card Reader being a 2.0 it IS faster.

I did discover RealTek has a Win8.1 driver as well on its site. I got it, it works, but devices ONLY show in Explorer when a card is inserted. See http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false for it.

Later on I started looking into my Device Manager. I figured with the new Ext. reader I didn't need the Dell drivers and deleted them. Had to delete the driver as well as they kept coming back on boot. As a test I put in an SD card without the Ext. USB in using the PC slot. It still showed. Found a RealTek USB 2.0 card reader in the USB section. Deleted that and all was OK. Decided to install Dell's W8.1 driver (latest from the FTP link above) and now those slots seem to work? Go figure? Maybe all the installs, deletes, install of different drivers has mangled the s/w due to uninstall clean ups, but it now seems to work but I've not tested it thoroughly.

See if the different s/w helps you?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 29th, 2015 14:00

Hi dperry112,

Please private message us the system service tag so that I could check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for the info., IrvSp. I downloaded the new Bios, and did all the updates, but this card reader is still not working on my new XPS 8700 with Windows 10! I called Dell Tech Support, who told me I could pay them $259 for an extended warranty. Yeah, right.  My computer is a little over a year old, and the card reader should work! Am I stupid for upgrading to Windows 10? Dell tells me when I log in that I SHOULD upgrade. Why didn't they just furnish a driver that would fix this issue? I'm really annoyed at being led down this garden path of: 1) Upgrading to Windows 10; 2) Installing all the required Dell updates; and 3) finding out the card reader STILL doesn't work!  And I'll be if I'll dole out $24.46 for a new card reader from Amazon (see www.amazon.com/.../ref=dp_olp_new;condition=new ). Who's to say that it wouldn't work after I went to all the trouble to buy and install it? So now I'm trying to find a USB 3.0 SD card reader that's compatible with Windows 10. What a royal pain!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 17th, 2016 17:00

Did you go to the Intel site and run its checker to verify that you had the Windows 10 drivers installed for the Intel Lynx Point (Z87) chipset? IrvSp is correct, we did release a Windows 10 Foxconn Icon Manager for the Foxconn 19-in-1 Media Card Reader. Did you install it?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/driverdetails?driverid=NMR90
Foxconn Icon Manager
XPS-8700_Removable-Storage_Application_NMR90_WN32_10.0.10125.31214_A00.EXE
Version 10.0.10125.31214, A00
12/3/15
Windows 10

190 Posts

Chris, that is the file I got, but check the NAME for it, it is NOT Foxconn Icon Manager. Only when you open APPLIES TO will you see Foxconn Icon Manager (why isn't it called 19-in-1 card reader driver?).

By the way, under W8.1 with the OLD FoxConn driver the 4 slots ALWAYS showed in My Computer or Explorer. Now with the new driver ONLY when a card is in. Not a real problem but it does work differently.

190 Posts

JHenryF3, first there IS a new W10 card reader drive for the XPS 8700. It is sort of hidden under Removable Storage. The file is Dell Platform Tags Utility (I'm sure by the name you would KNOW what you want it for, just like the old one was FoxConn Icon Manager!).

This is a sort of strange one too, only when you insert a card into a slot will it appear.

When I went to W10 my card reader didn't 'seem' to work either. My PC was under Warranty and I was sent a 'cheap' USB 3.0 3 slot reader that covers Micro SD, SD/SD HC/SDXC/MMC, and MS/MSXC card. Amazon has it for less than $11, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Memory-Reader-FCREADMICRO3/dp/B00DFVZOCA

2 Posts

January 17th, 2016 22:00

Chris & IrvSp,

Thank you for your help, but I still can't see the card reader in my Device Manager, and it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer if I insert an SD card in the slot.  The only thing I can see under "Disk Drives" is "ST1000DM003-1ER162".  i can only see the other card readers if I click "Show Hidden Devices" (except for the "miniMMC/SD/RS/SDXC", which does not appear at all since I uninstalled it; I thought I needed to do that to update the driver).

Anyway, I just ordered this 3.0 media card reader from Amazon ($5.89):  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OJ5WBUE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new 

No Events found!