Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 14th, 2013 11:00

8700, windows 8.1, on but won't wake from sleep

Over the last few days when I press a keyboard key or mouse, the system does not resume and display the desktop. Instead, I have to shut down the system with the power button, that is lit normally, to get control of the system. I was used the Dell balanced power plan and chose a high performance plan that does not let the hard disk power down and I'll see if that helps. Any thoughts?

145 Posts

February 6th, 2014 14:00

Yeah, you have a different video card than what came with my 8700.  I've got a Nvidia GT 635.  So just make sure to get the most recent AMD RADEON update for 8.1 :)

Already have that, actually. Come to think of it, though, I haven't had monitor wake issues much at all since the 8.1 update + latest Catalyst drivers.

145 Posts

[quote user="suprman602"]

I'm telling you, I just figured out this fix last night with Windows 8.1 on my 8700.  Did you try what I posted to fix your 8300s and 8500s?  At least I can verify for the new 8700 it resolved my issue.

My 8300 ran Windows 7 and an AMD card, so not the same set up as you.

[/quote]

My 8500 runs Win 8.1 and a Radeon 7870 HD, and I'm willing to try this solution. That said, I never sleep my PC, but I do have trouble resuming after the monitors sleep sometimes. I suspect it's a mobo or PSU issue that's failing to wake the GPU.

Thanks for the idea, suprman602 :)

8 Posts

Yeah, you have a different video card than what came with my 8700.  I've got a Nvidia GT 635.  So just make sure to get the most recent AMD RADEON update for 8.1 :)

8 Posts

February 10th, 2014 19:00

So I take back my fix.  After 72 hours, the behavior has returned... It turns out the video update did not do the trick.  Wonder what it could be...

145 Posts

February 10th, 2014 19:00

So I take back my fix.  After 72 hours, the behavior has returned... It turns out the video update did not do the trick.  Wonder what it could be...

The new A11 BIOS was released recently and includes improved power (supply) performance and bugfixes, so maybe it might help. I haven't tried sleeping yet, but I did install it. Try it and let us know the outcome.

8 Posts

February 10th, 2014 23:00

IMPORTANT Update****

Judah, thanks for the suggestion, but actually A11 does not exist for the 8700 XPS.  On a side note though, I FINALLY have this problem nailed down to a solution for everyone experiencing this issue.  The problem seems to persist within the Windows 8.1 operating system when the computer is joined to a home group.  Therefore, the computer is always trying to share media and never goes to sleep.  Many people will set up a homegroup when setting up 8.1.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with Dell tech support (which was great support btw) and we nailed the issue down to just that - the computer will not sleep if joined to a home group.  Once you leave a home group and let the computer idle, it will sleep. Now, the other bug I've found is that in Advanced power settings there is an option under 'Multimedia settings' to "Allow computer to sleep" when sharing media.  I thought changing this alone would do the trick when still joined to a home group, but it did not work.

To leave a home group, you must disable the IPv6 TCP/IP protocols on both your network and wireless adapter properties first.  This can be done in Network and Sharing Center -> change adapter settings in the upper left -> right click both your network adapters and click properties for both.  This is where you will find the IPv6 checkbox to uncheck.  Again, this must be done for both adapters (ethernet and wireless).

Once IPv6 is disabled for both adapters you can then proceed with leaving a home group.  Go to control panel and click home group (with small icons as display style) and simplyt click on leave home group.  it will then let you leave the home group you are most likley apart of, causing this sleep issue.

I have done several tests and have confirmed that this resolves the sleep issue in Windows 8.1 on my Dell XPS 8700.  On a side note though, I have noticed a few issues still present.

1. Sleep mode may take up to 7 minutes longer to actually sleep than specified time in Power settings

2. A restart of the PC always takes 2 minutes with 8.1 on my Dell XPS 8700.

So to sum it all up, the issue is because Microsoft released 8.1 with this bug.  I am sure they are aware of it by now with the many sleep issues out there with Windows 8.1 across multiple devices and manufacturers.  Dell assured me Microsoft will be releasing a "fix" for this in the future via Windows update.  I hope this post helps many others out there with this issue and all please post here if you have a similar sleep issue and it was resolved by the steps above and leaving a home group.  Thanks :)

27 Posts

February 11th, 2014 07:00

I've seen that same fix mentioned in places for the computer GOING to sleep in Windows 8.1 (which is a legit problem with 8.1 it seems - I have this problem on my new machine as well), but what about it's refusal to WAKE from sleep like discussed in this thread?  

It's an inherent problem with these XPS 8*00 machines, whether it's Windows 7 or 8, new machine or three years old.  Many posts about it in this forum going back a few years. Pretty sure it's a mobo issue.  If you notice it happening, sadly, expect your mobo to die prematurely.  Or at best, never have it wake from sleep work correctly.  

8 Posts

February 11th, 2014 19:00

Everyone, I think Microsoft has finally listened.  Look for the new optional update which includes the following fix.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2921066

108 Posts

February 12th, 2014 17:00

I was the OP for this thread. I resolved the problem by reinstalling windows 8 and have not had any problems with the computer waking from sleep.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2014 21:00

Does it resume in windows 8??

108 Posts

February 13th, 2014 17:00

Yes without any problem. I think that updating the nvidia drivers caused the problem but I cannot recommend the 8.1 upgrade particulaly because Dell does not provide 8.1 install media making reinstalling the system to 8.0 a huge amount of work even with good backups.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2014 14:00

Reverting to windows 8 is not an option for me.  I have updated the NVIDIA drivers and also installed the new A04 BIOS for WIndows 8.1 and it still is an occasional issue.  Not happy at all.

Not having this issue on my Dell Laptop.  Is this just an 8700 issue

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 13:00

Go to Windows Update Settings and choose "Never check for updates"

Just check your updates manually everyday.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2014 14:00

Well I got it fixed.  Per Dell tech support I went to the Advanced Power Settings and found that "Hybrid Sleep" was on even in the so called "High Perfomance Power Plan" I turned it off.

Next he had me go into Device Manager and go to all the to all the USB ports and turn the Power Saving function "off" for each of the ports. This is done by going into the power management option for each USB port and unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" opton.

Then I did a reboot.

This seemed to work and I have had no problems with the box going into sleep mode for 4 days.

Note sure if Windows Update is an issue, since I still have it check automatically and have no issues.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2014 04:00

Does anyone know if Microsoft have fixed this in 8.1 yet?

I had to revert to 8.0 and lost all my programs but I had no choice, I'd like to know if its safe to install 8.1 again.

This issue is when the pc fails to wake from sleep as per the first post, some people appear to now be talking about the pc not going to sleep which is a very different issue.

No Events found!