Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2009 19:00

A2010 bios update issues

This is a heads up to all A2010 users. Do not update the bios if you are out of warranty or contract.  I just upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 and it crashed the motherboard.  After updating the bios I got an error on bootup about the cpu and system fan failure and the fans in the cpu would run at full speed all the time.  Downgrading back to the previous bios does not help.  The problem seems to be hit and miss with the A2010's from viewing other websites.  The ONLY solution is for the motherboard to be replaced.   The service tech replaced my mb under warranty. Lucky because it would have been cheaper to buy another cpu otherwise.   The new mb comes with bios 1.0.0.  This mb was able to successfully upgrade to 2.0.6 when I tried it.    There is a "known" issue with bios v. 2.0.5 causing this problem and it was supposed to be fixed with 2.0.6.

9 Posts

December 6th, 2009 14:00

Hi, so are you saying the fix for this pronlem is to replace the mb?  Mine is out of warrenty and I would assume a mb is worht as much as the machine????

1 Message

January 19th, 2010 19:00

I have also had this issue and it is infuriating. My machine A2010 was running 2.0.2 bios. I decided to look at updating all my drivers for this machine to the newest recommended versions. I ran the EXE for the BIOS 2.0.6 update and after a couple reboots and unplugging the machine as direct, on the next boot up the System fan is going full blast and very noisy and I get  a CPU fan failure issue. 

So I first boot back into my bios to try and go back to the default version... No option for that in settings. So I start searching to web for help... and I find forum after forum on the Dell site about people that are also having this issue with NO HELP from Dell on getting new files to address this issue.

Dell you're RECOMMENDED update NUKED my system. Please get an update out to get this fixed. It's not like I'm trying to overclock my CPU I'm just putting on the Recommended updates.  There are FAR TOO MANY people with this same issue to simply ignore it. Dell claims to have world class support and service and so far I'm not feeling it

3 Posts

November 13th, 2012 10:00

Same thing here.... I got a new mother board under warrenty then THE SAME THING HAPPENED! I gave up and bought a Mac I was so frustrated. Now, I am trying (unsuccessfully) to find a resolution to this issue so my kids can use this computer. I hoped that now, 2 years later, Dell would have finally addressed the issue and offered a software fix. But, no! I will never buy another Dell. ever.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2012 11:00

Up until this computer I always had good luck with my Dell computer.  But this computer has been a pos.  Dell totally screwed up the motherboard with their bios update and never cared enough to fix it.  They did replace the motherboard under the original warranty but the service guy installed the new bios on it.  Shortly afterward the warranty expired and shortly after that the fans went haywire again.  This cpu is loud as hell with the fans running at full speed all the time.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2012 07:00

Does yours happen to shut down...? The fan on mine also runs WILD. When I try to power it off, it goes through the shut down mode just long enough for the fan to turn off but it won't actually turn off. So, I have to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds to actually turn it off. I was looking around on the web for a solution to this part at least. Apparently I have to live with the insane fan...

No Events found!