Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2008 00:00

AGP card fan connector - Dimension XPS R450

To make a long (and boring) story short, Where does the connector for the fan on my AGP card go to?

About a year ago I installed a nVidia GeForce4 card. The fan went bad and I want to reinstall my original AGP card but I cant figure out where the fan connector goes to.

Thanks for any help.

AJ

4.8K Posts

February 11th, 2008 02:00

ajosefick,

The connector for the fan on your AGP video card goes to a two pin connector in the AGP video card itself. 

Steve

17 Posts

February 11th, 2008 11:00

Thank you for your response BigBrother however my fan has a 3 pin female connector (blu red blk) and there are no connections on the AGP card. On the aluminum heat sink is stamped MOLEX 37085.

ajosefick

4.8K Posts

February 11th, 2008 12:00

ajosefick,

I suspect that the heatsink/fan combination currently installed on your AGP card may not be the original.  Your original AGP video card may not have had a fan on the original heatsink.  On the back of the original AGP card, locate a sticker which has "DP/N" (Dell Part Number) on it and reply back here with that part number.

Steve

17 Posts

February 11th, 2008 14:00

BigBrother,

I suspect you may be correct about the correctness of my AGP card. The fan is attached to the top of the heatsink There are two labels/stickers. One is on the fan shroud itself: 22P2463 below a barcode. The other is a label on what appears to be a black protective covering that covers the entire bottom of the circuit card itself. This black cover has the name "Intel" embossed on it and the sticker number which is located above a bar code is: 11S22PO638ZJ1FVFOCJOAJ.  I wish I knew how to send a photograph.

I appreciate your assistance and I wish I had a better memory. I am wondering if the connector could have gone to another circuit board instead of the MB.

Regards, ajosefick

4.8K Posts

February 14th, 2008 12:00

ajosefick,

The item that you are describing with the number 22P2463 is not an AGP video card, but is an Intel PentiumII Slot1 processor and heatsink assembly.  The fan connector on the CPU goes to a connector on the system mainboard.  This connector is usually a 3-pin connector and may be labelled as "fan" or "fan1" or "fan2". 

For a partial image of this item (the heatsink/fan assembly only), check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/22p2463-Heatsink-w-Fan-for-DL380-22p2463-Proliant-CPQ_W0QQitemZ6885634374QQihZ016QQcategoryZ80149QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Steve

17 Posts

February 14th, 2008 15:00

Hi Steve (BigBrother),

Thank you for all of your assistance. About 5 years ago I swapped out the original Pentium II for a replacement Pentium III (850 MHz).  In fact I have the original Pentium II setting on my desk along side the original AGP card. I have no idea what is going on.  The photo you supplied is indeed the fan that is on the AGP card.

I have made a temporary repair to the nVidia GeForce fan by peeling off a label and applying some clock oil to the exposed bearing. I expect that should quiet the fan for a week or two.  I quess it's time to retire the old XPS R450. It sure has been a reliable workhorse.

Have a good day and thanks again for all of your efforts.

A.J.

17 Posts

February 14th, 2008 15:00

Steve,

I forgot to mention that there was no cooling fan at all on the original Pentium II CPU. It has a massive finned aluminium heat sink.

A.J.

No Events found!