7 Plutonium

RE: AMD Radeon HD 6450 heat sink radiator failure

K6HDT looks totally different.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
TorVo
1 Copper

Can't really speak to that. Maybe the wrong sticker was affixed to the board when it was produced. I dunno

Here's what we have on site.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

From a repair tech point of view the incorrect number/sticker indicates counterfeit non dell product.   There is a reason why the same thing has different part numbers in different countries.  

Counterfeit parts are a growing problem in the supply chain. Reports of counterfeits have quadrupled since 2009, rising from 324 to 1,363 in 2011, according to consulting firm IHS. IHS drew the data from ERAI Inc, an information services firm that reports on the global electronics supply chain, and the Government-Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP), a joint effort of government and industry that shares information on the life cycles of systems and equipment. For example, if a failure in a DOD-owned Dell computer was due to a faulty, possibly counterfeit part, Dell might have to determine whether the component was indeed counterfeit and also determine what other products the component was used in.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Enzeder
1 Copper

This is the stick from the 6450 that came in my Dell 790 purchased directly from Dell.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Enzeder
1 Copper

And the card looks the same as TorVo's (here it is from a different angle): 

There are four of the AMD Radeon HD6450. Two full height and two low profile.

K6HDT AMD Radeon HD6450, 1GB, DP/DVI-I, OPGA8, Full Height
3173K AMD Radeon HD6450, 1GB, DP/DVI-I, OPGA8 v2, Full Height

6XMMP AMD Radeon HD6450, 1GB, DP/DVI-I, OPGA8, Low Profile
M0KV6 AMD Radeon HD6450, 1GB, DP/DVI-I, OPGA8 v2, Low Profile

0 Kudos
georgew3
1 Copper

So we are nearing the 50% failure point...  I caught the IT guy stealing video cards from my undeployed inventory, so now I have a bunch of vga-only machines...

So should we just wait till all of our motherboards fail from being shorted out, before we get cards, or should we be proactive?  But yes, this is a systemic failure from a very poorly designed heat sink.  The heat sink walls are too thin to properly contain the pressure of the phase change fluid (probably water) when heated to the working temperature for months at a time.

You can resurrect a card by loosening the screws, if the card isn't already dead, loosing the screws will provide added expansion room for the pregnant radiator.  You may see the card de-flex and return to an almost normal appearance on the back side...

0 Kudos
PZor25
1 Copper

From a fleet of roughly 50 Optiplex 990's, I've had to pull at lest 20 failed cards.

I'd call this systemic.

0 Kudos
jrreid
1 Copper

Agreed.

We have a lab of 120 of these, and while only 3 have failed since 2011 (to my knowledge) when we last popped the sides off to do a thorough cleaning at least 30% of the lab were showing signs of warping.

0 Kudos
brantm9274
1 Copper

I just took apart 5 OptiPlex 790's.  Each had 2 AMD 6450 video cards.  About half of them the heatsink had expanded and broke the *** holding it onto the board.  These computers are 3.5 years old and just out of warranty.

0 Kudos