Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2014 11:00

AMD Radeon HD 7770 video card stopped working in XPS 8500. Any advice?

I have had my XPS 8500 up and running for about 2 years now.   Well, yesterday I went to use the computer and both monitors connected to the AMD Radeon HD 7770 video card weren't working.  So, I powered down the computer and I opened up the computer case and pulled out the video card and inspected it and all look good and I reseeded it back into the PCI express slot.    Well, that didn't work.   So, next I checked to see if there was newer bios for the mother board, so I went from A09 to A12 in the bios.   That didn't work.  So, I downloaded the latest video drivers for the AMD Radeon HD 7770 and installed them and that didn't work.   I ran the advance diagnostic system test from the Dell website and everything came back as "passed".   I don't have another desktop computer I can put the video card into to test it out.  

I read a lot about the AMD Radeon HD 7770 1 GB card requires 500W minimum on the power supply and the XPS 8500 is a 460 Watt power supply.   But, I am assuming since it has working this long, why would that matter now. I also did the trick of removing the bios battery and then replacing it and resetting the bios, and that didn't work.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the AMD Radeon HD 7770 drivers two times and that didn't work either.  The AMD Radeon HD 7770 doesn't show up at all in the device manager.   And I looked through every device within the device manager and all the drivers are working fine.  

So, anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?  Did the AMD Radeon HD 7770 video card die?  Or did the PCI express x16 slot die?  Did the power supply get weak and now can't provide enough power to the video card?  This was a certified refurbished box when I bought it.  

I am currently running just a single monitor off the internal intel graphics 4000 video card now. 

-  Windows 8 - 64 Bit

- Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)

- 12 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
-- 2 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Thanks for the help, after staying up to 2 a.m. trouble shooting this issue, well I have officially thrown in the towel and seeking some advice/feedback.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2014 12:00

I tested the PCIe connector from the powersupply and I read 12.25 Volts between yellow (+) and black (-) for all the 3 separate connectors on the plug.  So, looks like the powersupply is supplying the proper voltage to the AMD Radeon HD 7770 video card.  Now, it's a question if the video card crapped out or the PCI express x16 slot has.   I hate to buy another video card and it turns out it wasn't the video card.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks...

November 7th, 2014 01:00

Its possible this display adapter has been disabled. Check to see if the mesaage "this device is working properly" appears. On the device manager > display adapters >

4 Posts

November 7th, 2014 09:00

Unfortunately it doesn't show up at all in the device manager, it doesn't see it under display adapters.  If I turn on "Show hidden devices" it shows it but it's faded out and you can't do anything with it but uninstall it or update driver software.  I tried uninstalling it and now it doesn't show it at all even when I select show hidden devices.  

I have another video card I ordered yesterday and it should be here today.  I will soon find out if the card died or the PCI-e x16 slot died. 

4 Posts

November 7th, 2014 11:00

That appears to be the case, the new GPU is working.   Kind of sucks, but at least I am back up and running.

Thanks for the feedback....

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 7th, 2014 11:00

I would guess that the GPU overheated and is essentially dead.  I would not expect the machine to post if the X16 slot was damaged.

No Events found!