Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2013 16:00

AMD Radeon HD7570 vs GeForce GTX 645 performance, noise in XPS

Has anyone used an XPS 8500 and/or 8700 with both the current video card choices, AMD Radeon HD7570 and nVidea GeForce GTX 645? If so, I'm curious whether there's a noticeable performance difference between them in multitasking or photo or low-level video editing. I'm not a gamer, though I'm curious whether there's a difference there either. Failing that, if you've used an XPS with one or the other of the video cards, any comments on performance would be welcome.

NVidea's site says the 645 max power usage is 130 watts, which is very high. I can't find the spec on AMD's site for the 7570 but another site says its max is 44 watts. If that's right, I'd guess the 8700 would be quieter with the AMD, since it should require less fan cooling. Also, do you know if you can turn the discrete graphics card off (using the BIOS or another method) when not doing graphics intensive tasks and just rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU? Incidentally, Dell's Environmental Data sheets have much lower noise levels for the XPS 8500 than the 8700 (only the first column, 'sound power' is found on the specs for both models): 

hard drive access: 2.56 db vs 4.1

optical drive access: 3.88 v 5.2 Post

idle: 2.53 v 4.0

Do these numbers look reasonable? Not sure why this would be the case, though the max power usage for the 8700 is listed as higher too (122 v 87 watts), though the 8700 uses less at idle (41 v 45 watts)

Any help would be appreciated as I'm hoping to buy the machine today or tomorrow.

1.5K Posts

July 11th, 2013 18:00

Hi 2004_4600,

To check the specifications of GeForce GTX 645, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/13yXFkI.

To check for the specification of AMD HD 7570, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/1362avV.

You may decide which card is best suited for your computing needs after reviewing the specifications for both the cards.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. 

12 Posts

July 12th, 2013 07:00

Thanks, I've seen those pages before. But the AMD one does not give any power consumption information. Do you have that data, perhaps from Dell's internal documentation?

Do you have any information about my other three questions?

1) What are the performance differences between the two video cards?

2) Can you turn the discrete graphics card off (using the BIOS or another method) when not doing graphics intensive tasks and just rely on the integrated graphics of the CPU?

3) Can you confirm that the noise data for the XPS 8500 vs XPS 8700 is correct? Have you heard either machine? If so, how would you describe their noise levels?

Thanks. Any information would be appreciated.

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 18:00

Hi 2004_4600,

NVidia GeForce GTX 645 is faster than AMD Radeon HD7570. However, it may get a little hotter and noisier than AMD Radeon HD 7570 as it utilizes more power. You may refer to the link below: http://bit.ly/12tMl6V.

There is no option to disable the discrete graphics either in BIOS or in the operating system.

I am unable to find any specific information regarding the noise data.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

212 Posts

December 27th, 2013 15:00

I've not used the 8700 with the 7570 but DO have the new GeForce GTX 645.  Works ok but have to admit, you might be right on the money hear as I can sometimes hear the fan of the 645, and it's the loudest thing in the system.  When it's off, it's extremely quiet.  I do web design and graphics work with ZERO game use and this system has been ok but I have to admit at being slightly underwhelmed peformance-wise.  I have the Core i7 4770 with 16GB of RAM, 1TB HD and the 645 GTX video.  Got the best deal via Cyber Monday with Win 8, something I didnt want at time but the price was so good, it was a no brainer.  Could get it even lower buy talking directly to a sales rep.  

So how is it?  It's a nice, capable machine if not exactly the blazing, eye opening performance change I was hoping from my original Core i7 machine running RAID 0.  Upon reading the customer reviews, you have to wonder if they were entered by Dell employees at this stage.  heh..  It's a nice system for sure, though.  

I would highly recommend going for a great price and adding a Solid State drive to run Windows and your basic programs.  You'll see some serious results here.  

The 645 GTX is ok but I have to admit it's also not a mind blowing results.  I think my RADEON card in my last system actually might have been more rock solid with better imaging in the work we do.  The noise from the fan is not really disturbing but you CAN hear it a bit when it's in need, this over the single fan (and cpu fan) in the main system.  Like my 435MT, this tower only have ONE cooling fan.

- kh

No Events found!