Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2012 16:00

ATI Graphics Nightmare

I bought my new Dell about a year ago. I went with Dell again because my previous Dell which is almost 10 years old has worked flawlessly to this day. But I decided to upgrade and keep my old Dell as a backup system. My new Dell has been an absolute nightmare due to the graphics drivers. The video cuts out completely randomly. I should've just returned the system but I'm so used to fixing PCs and succeeding I stupidly kept it. I have followed all the instructions on the FAQs and the problem isn't nearly as bad as it was but it never went away completely. I'm very disappointed with AMD/ATI.

My question is this. My processor is an AMD with the high-end integrated ATI video graphics right on the processor itself. If I buy let's say an nVidia graphics card would that work with the AMD processor and it would just ignore its embedded graphics? I'm guessing it would but I want to make sure because I've never had a system before that has the equivalent of a graphics card embedded in the microprocessor itself. Thanks.

91 Posts

January 10th, 2012 13:00

"My question is this. My processor is an AMD with the high-end integrated ATI video graphics right on the processor itself. If I buy let's say an nVidia graphics card would that work with the AMD processor and it would just ignore its embedded graphics?"

Hard to say definitively since you did not mention the exact model, but most Dell's automatically disable the on board video.  Some older models require that you enter the BIOS to disable the onboard video.  But I have also seen odd incompatibility issues with some Dells and add on video card.  For example, a Dell Inspiron 531 (AMD based machine) that came with integrated video and sold with an optional 8300GS card hangs for nearly a minute during POST with a HD 5450 card installed and no longer recovers from sleep mode.  Perfectly stable otherwise, but a drag to wait for the thing to boot and a disappointment not to be able to use sleep mode.  Since the item is no longer supported there is not likely going to be a BIOS update that could address this problem.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

January 8th, 2012 16:00

You should post your model computer for help with your unspecified problem.It's hard to answer without knowing what model you have and what the problem was. All the new models with integrated graphics automatically switch to separate cards when they are installed. However--I have a Inspiron 570 whose integrated graphics failed and the motherboard had to be replaced under warranty. If you are still under a year, the warranty is still in effect and you should use it. Contact Dell Support. Adding a separate card won't help if the motherboard is the problem.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 8th, 2012 17:00

I had a mainboard with an AMD chipset, and the only discrete video cards that would work properly under Vista and 7 were nVidia models.

I doubt you'll have any problems using a nVidia card.

1.5K Posts

January 9th, 2012 08:00

I did not know that Dell even offered any AMD Fusion processors as an option.  I have only seen the i3, i5 & i7 with the built in HD 2000 for HD 3000 graphics on the CPU and I didn't know that the AMD chip was even out a year ago when you bought your system.  What system do you have?  Either ATI or Nvidia dedicated video cards can be used.  It does not matter what CPU you have.  A dedicated PCIe X16 video card is used and recognized automatically if you install one.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2012 11:00

You won't be able to crossfire with and SLI.

If you want video to be complimentary and you have integrated AMD video then you should get an AMD Video card.

6 Posts

January 10th, 2012 17:00

Sorry, I should've mentioned the processor. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 945 3GHz. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll avoid that particular Nvidia card just in case. I want to switch to Nvidia because I don't trust ATI after what I've gone through with this screen blacking out problem that comes and goes. And yes I have tried different monitors so it's not the monitor. Thanks.

91 Posts

January 10th, 2012 19:00

The processor is not really of concern.  Compaibility of a graphics card is dependant on the system motherboard and bios.  That is why everyone kept asking you to mention what model you have.  Also, I doubt that the problem with the Inspiron 531 with an add-on HD 5450 card is the only incompatible card for that system.  And without a power supply upgrade in that inspiron 531 there really is not better choice than the HD 5450 despite its problems with the system.  If you are talking about an inspiron 531, then what you are calling a 'blackout issue' may be what i described as the system failing to turn the screen back on after being in sleep mode.  You can enter the bios and change the power saving scheme from S3 to S1 to resovle this problem, but the machine will not go to sleep the same way...  (fan stays on) but it will wake back up.

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2012 15:00

That CPU does not have a GPU on the chip like Intel.  Any Nvidia card will work with the right power supply.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 12th, 2012 06:00

That CPU does not have a GPU on the chip like Intel.  Any Nvidia card will work with the right power supply.  

MOST of the Nvidia GPU's use too much power.

The 5450 is very efficient with a TDP of 19 Watts.

Not sure of any "better" nvidia cards that are that efficient.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 12th, 2012 07:00

I went out and purchased 5450's to see how and if they run.  With Mail in Rebate they were $30 cards.

Works OK not GREAT with World of Warcraft.  For BF3 don't even think about it.

Fits fine in Tower and Desktop but the SFF Units and newer Desktop units do not fit the card because there is zero space next to the slot aka must not be more than .5 inches thick including heatsink or hit hits the hard drive mounting or some other item.

1.5K Posts

January 12th, 2012 07:00

[quote user="Kelbear1"]That CPU does not have a GPU on the chip like Intel.  Any Nvidia card will work with the right power supply.  

MOST of the Nvidia GPU's use too much power.

The 5450 is very efficient with a TDP of 19 Watts.

Not sure of any "better" nvidia cards that are that efficient.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, we are unclear on what system he has.  My guess is that he has at least a 300 watt PSU and in this range the ATI cards are the best option for efficiency and performance without upgrading the power supply.  The HD 5450 is a low-end card so we don't know the purpose for the upgrade either.  There are better choices with the 300W unit unless he happens to have a slimline model.  Cost, performance, features and whether someone prefers ATI or Nvidia are all factors to consider.  As with most Dell stock power supplies, ATI cards seem to offer the better choices if you're a fan of the red team.  I'm on the green team because I just prefer their drivers.  

91 Posts

January 12th, 2012 08:00

Not all HD 5450 cards are "half height" type and so will not fit the Small Form Factor or other low profile machines.  

Also, they demonstrate the problem mentioned above in the Inspiron 531.  

A good graphics card but by no mean perfect.

91 Posts

January 13th, 2012 16:00

There is no doubt that the ATI card saw you writing about removing it and so it is now behaving better ;)

6 Posts

January 13th, 2012 16:00

Sorry I should've given the model. It's a Dell Studio XPS 7100.

My idea of switching from ATI to Nvidia was that if the problem that comes and goes is related to left-over stuff from previous drivers then switching to Nvidia would get rid of that problem I would expect.

Anyhow the problem seems to have gone away now but like I said it has come and gone before.

1.5K Posts

January 14th, 2012 07:00

The XPS 7100 has a 460 watt power supply so it is good for a lot of video card choices.  I would always use Driver Sweeper when changing from ATI to Nvidia or the other way around to clean things out found HERE.  

No Events found!