Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2009 03:00

ATI Radeon 3870 HD + CrossfireX + Windows 7 + XPS 630i

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 630i with (2) ATI Radeon 3870 HDs in CrossfireX configuration (factory default when bought). This originally shipped with Vista 32-bit and worked fine under Catalyst and all subsequent updated versions of Catalyst and drivers.

I have recently installed Windows 7 64-bit on a separate partition, and this is where the trouble starts. Windows 7 recognizes both of my cards under Device Manager, however when installing the latest Catalyst suite plus the drivers (9.1); it will not recognize that there is a CrossfireX configuration and therefore will not give me the CrossfireX option from the Graphics drop-down menu (in advanced view). Under information, it shows that one of my cards is the primary adapter (which my monitor is attached to) and the other (secondary) is set to disabled.

I've read a few things on these boards, and also the ATI boards that Dell uses a specific Motherboard tweak (and therefore a specific driver) to make these cards work in Crossfire on a supposedly nVidia Motherboard, as I understand it. However, I have no idea about the validity of this claim.

My question is: what exactly do I need to do in order to enable my secondary card in Catalyst so that the CrossfireX option appears in the drop-down menu in advanced view in Windows 7 64-bit?

I am willing to provide any further information needed if it helps with finding a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for any information submitted.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2009 03:00

I solved this problem yesterday. You have to download the original video drivers from the Dell website under the XPS 630i section and install them. This enables Crossfire on the cards, you can then uninstall these old drivers and use a program such as Driver Sweeper to remove all left-over drivers. Then install the newest version of Catalyst suite and after the restart it should recognize your Crossfire configuration.

Regards.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2009 13:00

Hello,

i have exactly the same problem on Windows 7 32-bit with the same PC.

I contacted the the German Dell Phone-Support and the AMD Phone-Support. But they couldn't tell me anything other, than it should work!

I hope, someone can find a solution.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 27th, 2009 10:00

Thanks, your solution works perfectly!

Hours of trying, searching and phone-support and it could be that easy:emotion-1:

Thanks again

1 Message

May 2nd, 2010 04:00

Hi Newtonp,

I hav exactly the same problem. Which original dell drivers are you referrring to? The Vista drivers? 3870  normal or X2? Hope you can help me please.

Regards,

Christian

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 10:00

Did anyone test the Dell AMD Desktop Beta Windows 7 driver to see if it allowed CrossfireX on the XPS 630i nVidia 650 SLI chipset?

October 12th, 2011 21:00

Hi Newtonp,

I hav exactly the same problem. Which original dell drivers are you referrring to? The Vista drivers? 3870  normal or X2? Hope you can help me please.

Regards,

Christian

ive been messin w/ this for years. i give up, and try some more a couple monts later. all this time ive been downloading X2 drivers, when i have two 3870s. *facepalm. drivers DL'd, wish me luck. =]

3 Posts

November 9th, 2011 12:00

Hi guys, thanks for the posts.

This method does work.  It took me a couple of tries, but only because im a bit sloppy.  

Here is the link to the drivers i used:  (these are 64 bit for windows 7, but choose the appropriate values if different)   http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=6&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_630I&hidos=W764&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False                                                                                                              

Install the first or second download in the list (both are display drivers, each for a different card)  I have an HD 4870 as my main card, so i chose the corresponding driver.

Next install the download option third down in the list.  It is labeled  Desktop BETA Driver.

Reboot

Next navigate to the ati drivers site.  Download and install the full catalyst suite (the one bundled with the full package of components/drivers/updates/ect)

Reboot

Open Catalyst control center (in advanced mode) and navigate down to either the gaming or performance tabs.  You will know it worked when you see a new AMD CrossFireX tab under the old ones in the grey navi bar on the left.

Reboot

Install the XFire program extensions which can be found on the same page of the ati drivers site.

^_^

November 11th, 2011 05:00

ive had to do this twice now in the last few weeks. success on both times. i have the original drivers saved for future mishaps. here is what i do for this. i have an xps630i, windows vista 32bit with two(2) HD3870 in crossfireX (not hd3870 X2, this was my problem for a wile. not knowing that X2 was a single PCIE card and not two cards)

1. down load the ORIGINAL drivers for your setup from DELL, not AMD or ATI. there should be a link for "other" or "older" drivers when u look em up.

for the same setup as me:

2. download driver sweeper. free program and now my favorite tool.

phyxion.net/.../driver-sweeper.html

3. uninstall all video drivers and software. i did mine from the device manager.

4. restart

5. click continue on new hardware found pop up. check the device manager, for me there was no drivers installed. there was that yellow icon /!\ next to both video adapters. this is good.

6. run driver sweeper. click AMD display box, click the * button at bottom. sweep away!

7. restart.

8. click continue on new hardware found pop up if it does. i check the device manager again to be sure its still good to go.

9. install the ORIGINAL drivers for your setup from DELL, not AMD or ATI.

10. restart

11. run CCC and you should see CrossFireX dropdown in menu on left. if so.....

12. now update CCC from options. now the new CCC should see CrossFireX

i hope this helps. its been a nightmare for me for several years. if you want to know more about what you were not told about your XPS630i, check this out. www.my630i.com/.../630icollective.html

http://www.my630i.com/

this will be my last pre built PC. back to building my own. i hope i didnt leave anything out. ill update if i can think of anything else.

October 1st, 2013 13:00

Hi all,

This issue caused me some headaches . I tried to follow SlaughtrHousJak's tutorial, but was blocked at point 9, because the original drivers (windows vista ati radon 3870 HD x2) never went up to the end of the setup.

I proceeded from there as follow:

1. I shut my computer down, removed the upper card from the desktop and rebooted

2. I installed the dell 3870 HD drivers for one card only (R193807)

3. reboot

4. shut the computer down, add the missing card and boot

5. From there you can see Crossfire activated in Catalyst

6. I uninstalled CCC + display driver and installed the latest version for win7 64bits

7. Now you have the latest drivers with Crossfire!

January 31st, 2014 11:00

Can someone help me find a Win 7 64 bit driver?

It is not listed on their pages....or I am missing the boat here.

No Events found!