Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2010 07:00

Accidently hit a few keys during startup, now system won't boot up!

I was restarting my system and was cleaning the desk and had the keyboard leaning up against my leg. During start-up, some keys were being

pressed down. This has now caused the computer to not boot up at all. It goes right to a blinking, white cursor.  I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it says it's going into

power save mode, then it acts like it will start up and it just goes back to the blinking cursor.

I let it sit for a bit and at one point it did ask me if I want to start it Safe Mode I clicked yes, and it went back to all this.

I check all my wires, etc and everything seems fine.

I have not had any other problems with the system, so I am assuming I hit a combination of keys that has seem to lock the computer. I pressed F12 and F4 and could not do anything with the suggestions it gives me in there.

HELP ASAP!

Thanks

< ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

64 Posts

January 11th, 2010 22:00

Have you tried F8 and selecting system utility. Or you can try unpluging everything from the computer and hitting the power up button 3 times. not sure about the last one.

4 Posts

January 12th, 2010 06:00

I Have not tried this! I will try this tonight and let you know if it works! Thanks so much!

4 Posts

January 12th, 2010 12:00

Will it delete anything on my hard drive?

64 Posts

January 12th, 2010 14:00

Neither one of those should delete your hard drive. In general the unplugging your computer and hitting the power button ground the system of sorts, won't hurt to try. The F8 should bring up a menu like that of the safe mood option, if your can check your system manual.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2010 06:00

I unplugged everything, hit the power button 3 times.. and at first it went to the same screen with the blinking cursor... I let it sit for a bit, and then the screen you are referring to popped up! I was amazed! It appears to have worked and I'm back up and running! I'm so glad I didn't pay Dell $50 to fix this! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

64 Posts

November 19th, 2010 17:00

No problem.

No Events found!