Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2011 16:00

Add SATA drive to Dell Precision 340 (400FSB) ?

Hi guys

I want to use my old Dell 340 Precision workstation with one or two 1 TB WD SATA drives that were running W7 last week on a different computer.

A few questions:

I plan to reformat with W7 Ultimate - either 64bit or 32bit OS.

If I get a PCI SATA card, WILL that allow the Dell 340 to boot the SATA drives? or do I need to get a specific SATA card containing a BIOS?

I don't need RAID but would like to transfer data to my other IDE drives and use the CD /DVD drive in the Dell. 

I plan to add a PCI to USB3 card unless I can get a combined PCI SATA and USB3 card. 

Any shortlist of cards that will be a good choice?

Thanks for any help guys!

Pete

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2011 06:00

If you have IDE connections now just use a bridge on the back.  You will need to set all drives to Master/Slave configuration for the ones that do not convert IDE to sata.  You cannot have mixed mode where some drives are

CABLE SELECT and others are set to MASTER or SLAVE.

The Bridge does not require drivers.

Its plug and play as long as all the other drives in the system are re jumpered to Master and Slave configuration.

The Default Setting in Dell machines is CABLE SELECT.

Micro Center - Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06

Kingwin ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board Adapter

Newegg.com - KINGWIN ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board

Amazon.com: Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06: Electronics

Kingwin ADP-06 Bridge Board - SATA To IDE at TigerDirect.com

Kingwin ADP-06 SATA To IDE Bridge Board

21 Posts

August 17th, 2011 06:00

That worked fine.

Couldn't get a Kingwin but an alternative from Amazon UK (IOMAX Bi-Directional IDE / SATA Converter (Connect IDE Drive to SATA Motherboard or SATA Drive to IDE Motherboard) ) worked fine.

The disadvantage of this was that it seems I cannot tie in another IDE drive, since the IDE connection is being used to boot the SATA.

I tried a Pluscom SATA PCI - 3 int and 1 ext ports - VIA VT6421a PCI card in one of the slots of the 340 and it only seems to function as a secondary drive, despite a friends opinion that its BIOS should allow my Dell 340 to boot the SATA.

The PLuscom PCI card does not seem to appear on the black screen when booting, so I'm wondering whether its just that the Dell340 wont allow booting from this card.

Any way I can check?

No Events found!