Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2014 00:00

Add hard drive from old computer as as 2nd in new XPS 8700

Hi

My old computer - Dell Vostro 410 just stopped working so I have now got an XPS 8700.

My problem is there are some files on my old vostro hard drive that i need. It was using Windows 7 and the hard drive i upgraded to a Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB SATA.

But the new XPS is running on Windows 8.1.  I can't upgrade the old hard drive as the old computer is dead. Has anyone got any ideas how i can get my info of my old drive to my new one?

I tried installing the old drive to the 2nd hard drive position but the system isn't recognizing it.

Any help would be  most welcome.

Thanks,

23 Posts

December 15th, 2014 03:00

Hello and yes I've an answer.

I also had a second drive running win 7 ult and took it out to install into my new XPS 8700 thing is I already formatted the drive to work in 8.1. It has come to light, that a UEFI installed system, will fail to boot if a secondary drive is attached which contains logical partitions. This would have to be an MBR configured drive, of course, but if it has at least one primary and one extended partition, it will stop Windows 7 and Windows 8 from booting.

To fix this try installing 2nd drive as primary then use a boot disk to get computer running then access the drive to remove files.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2014 07:00

July 11th, 2014 19:00

Thank you for the suggestion. I couldn't get the Apricon product in Australia but did a search for a similar - and found the Newer Technology universal drive adapter. It works brilliantly, it turns your old hard drive into an external drive so you can retrieve all of your files from it and copy to your new computer.

No Events found!