Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2008 08:00

Add new video card to an old Dell Dimension 2400?

I'd like to add a new GeForce 6200 video card to my Dimension 2400.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3301409&CatId=319

My Dimension has three free PCI card slots and the GeForce 6200 card I'm looking at is PCI (not PCIe, which wouldn't work).

However, the image of the card shows three "tabs" (small-big-small) but my Dimension's PCI slots look like they fit cards with two slots (small-big). Will this card work in my Dimension?

6.4K Posts

December 1st, 2008 20:00

The card you specify in your first post should fit into your D2400 PCI slot.  It is sometimes called a "universal" card as it can fit into either a PCI 2.2 or PCI 2.3 slot.  PCI 2.2 and earlier versions allowed 5 volt signalling, and cards specifically designed to work with 5 volts have one key slot toward the rear of the card.  Cards designed for 3.3 volt signalling have the key slot closer to the metal bracket.  Cards that are capable of handling either type of signalling have key slots in both places.

Conclusion is that if you can get the card it should fit into the Dimension 2400 (which happens to have PCI 2.2 version slots and is designed to that standard).  I'm afraid I have only dealt with NewEgg, but I have seen complaints on the forum about Tiger Direct in the past.

With regard to the power supply, I don't think any PCI video card will stress the power supply.  Those cards that need additional power generally have a requirement for an extra plug directly from the power supply.  I've never seen a PCI video card that had one of these.  The 6200 is a bit later than my FX 5200, but it doesn't work all that much faster, and my Dimension 2400 has worked fine with the original power supply for four years now.  I wouldn't worry unless you are also planning to add additional hard drives or other power hungry accessories.

You normally need to leave the bios set to Auto so that the bios will detect the new card and switch to it.  Before you install the card, however, you need to disable the Intel Graphics by going to the device manager and selecting "Do Not Use This Device - Disable" in the Device Usage menu at the bottom of properties.  This allows Windows to load a basic VGA driver that can be used with your new card until you get the specific drivers for the card installed.

Edit:  Oops!  You aren't running Windows.  You will need to figure out the equivalent of what I've written for Windows in your Ubuntu installation.  If you install  the card without going to a plain vanilla VGA driver, your OS may attempt to use the Intel Graphics driver for the card and you will wonder why you can't see anything on the screen.

2.8K Posts

November 26th, 2008 09:00

majoob,
The card pictured here is keyed the same way and it is PCI so the GeForce 6200 you want should work. As an aside, TigerDirect hasn't received good reviews from people I've come across on forums who have purchased from them. There are a few veterans from the 'old' DCF that would rather take a short walk off a long cliff than deal with them again. Just something you might want to consider.

4.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 10:00

As long as the card is listed as PCI, it'll fit/work.

And following on from the advice above regarding Tiger Direct... is there a specific reason why you chose them, 'coz I'd also recommend you look elsewhere - i.e. Newegg, who are undoubtedly the most popular online store in the US :emotion-5:

4 Posts

November 26th, 2008 12:00

Thanks The_Namek and TheRealFireBlade,

That's what I thought, PCI is PCI. But how do I fit a three-tabbed card (small-big-small) into a slot that looks like it will only fit two (small-big)? Do two of the card's tabs fit into the big slot?

Two more related questions since I have your attention:

1. I have a 200w power supply in my Dimension (with 2 HDs, 2 CD Roms, no floppy, 3 memory slots full, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4). Do you think I'll need to get a bigger power supply to power the new video card?

2. My bios gives me the option to switch between "onboard" and "auto" video. It's set at "auto". Could I run into problems with it recognizing the new video card? (no MS Windows either... running Ubuntu).

Good advice on TigerDirect. I'll look on NewEgg.

Thanks in advance

4 Posts

December 1st, 2008 19:00

Sorry, I'm going to bump this thread. I'd appreciate any insight on the two questions in my last post.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 06:00

Thanks for the great information JackShack!

6.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 07:00

Very happy to help.  Good luck to you!

1 Message

December 31st, 2009 04:00

Hi sorry all to be jumping on a helpful and possibly fulfilled post

i am also running a dimension 2400 and want to change the video card so i can run 2 monitors

I am currently running XP and a bit of a virgin to the insides of the PC but Ok with the operating systems i think

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179527

Many thanks in advance for your help

Nige

No Events found!