Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 7th, 2008 15:00

Adding 2nd Hard Drive to XPS 630

I just received my XPS 630 last week and I want to add a second hard drive to it. I've done this a lot over the years, but just want to make sure about a few things since this is a new system.

I currently have a 720 gig SATA drive that came with the system and I'm adding another 720 gig drive that I already own (which is already jumpered to Slave).

First off, do I need to remove the presently installed drive and move it down so that it is the last hard drive in the chain? I'd rather not move it unless that is advised.

Secondly, once I add my second drive, what do I need to switch it on in the BIOS for the new drive to be "seen" by the system? If so, where is that in the BIOS menu?

Thanks!

9 Posts

October 7th, 2008 15:00

Up to the BIOS, it is in the drive category. You have to know which SATA port (0, 1, 2, or 3) you use for the second drive. I would turn them all on and the system will tell you which two drives are missing, put down the numbers if you can't remember them, then go back to BIOS to disable the ones you don't want. Hope this helps.

Up to the bay position, I think you can use whichever bay you want as long as the cables are long enough.

@Neutronrobot wrote:

I just received my XPS 630 last week and I want to add a second hard drive to it. I've done this a lot over the years, but just want to make sure about a few things since this is a new system.

I currently have a 720 gig SATA drive that came with the system and I'm adding another 720 gig drive that I already own (which is already jumpered to Slave).

First off, do I need to remove the presently installed drive and move it down so that it is the last hard drive in the chain? I'd rather not move it unless that is advised.

Secondly, once I add my second drive, what do I need to switch it on in the BIOS for the new drive to be "seen" by the system? If so, where is that in the BIOS menu?

Thanks!

14.4K Posts

October 7th, 2008 16:00

There is no master/slave on a SATA drive. IF you are talking about an PATA/IDE drive then you might need to also have a ribbon cable as I do not think there is one inside of the case, The Ide connector is there though. In the bios you would enable the PATA drive.

If you have a SATA the jumper only changes the throughput speed of the drive. from 1.5 to 3.

Normally on a SATA drive there are no jumpers installed at all

October 7th, 2008 17:00

Yes, you're right.

I forgot that the extra drive I have is an IDE drive. Will adding an IDE drive instead of  a SATA drive slow the system down in any way?

14.4K Posts

October 7th, 2008 20:00

Yes but depends on how you are using it. I have one in mine that is just a storage drive where i store files that i use in my video editing. I honestly don't see any thing slowing down when accessing the drive. now if you were going to use the drive as something you access constantly then there might be a performance degrade.But unless you bench mark it I doubt you will see any difference.
No Events found!