Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2009 08:00

Adding A single Sata drive to a 435T with dual Raid 0 drives.

Can anyone who has the knowledge verify that you can indeed add an additional sata drive (internal) with dual sata drivea raid 0 configuration?

I know you cannot add an extra drive in the customizing process on the website. When you select a raid configuration then move on to the additional hard drive screen, you select a drive and get the message:

Your selection of a "Raid Configuration" in the Hard Drive Module is not compatible with a Second Hard Drive.

Thanks!

935 Posts

April 20th, 2009 08:00

I wouldn't necessarily trust a Dell tech or rep.

I have an XPS 410 with a RAID 1 configuration. I have added a 3rd drive for data storage purposes and the Intel ROM Utility at boot time shows it as non-RAID and the other 2 as member drives to my RAID 1 array.

I have not tried to add a 3rd drive to a RAID configuration. I don't think the Dell proprietary motherboards have OCE (Online Capacity Expansion) which allows a 3rd drive to be added to a RAID 0 configuration. I don't think you can add a 3rd drive to a RAID 1 configuration since RAID 1 mirrors 1 drive to a 2nd drive.

452 Posts

April 20th, 2009 08:00

According to Dell rep, you cannot add a single drive without making it part of the raid array! :emotion-6:

No Events found!