Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2011 22:00

Adding USB 3.0 card to new Dell XPS 8300?

Does anyone know what type of card i need to purchase that will give me usb 3.0 capabilites on this new computer. i would prefer to be able to mount it so that i could use the avalible slot on the front of the machine. it says optional usb 3.0 in the system stats.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 26th, 2011 02:00

A PCIex1 card will work, you won't be able to convert/use the front panel USB ports to 3.0, just the ports on the USB 3.0 card.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 28th, 2011 20:00

Call Dell Spare Parts 1-800-372-3355. Ask for part number:

72YMW USB 3.0 Module, Includes the PCIe Card, Cable, & Cage

2 Posts

January 28th, 2011 22:00

Thank you...thats great info..now i can have usb 3.0 convinently on front of my machine...

12 Posts

March 28th, 2011 06:00

Did you successfully install this card?  Have you had any problems?  Are the front USB ports now USB 3.0?

16 Posts

April 16th, 2011 19:00

Does that module fit in the empty slot in this picture? Is that where you installed it?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 9th, 2011 02:00

Adding USB 3.0 ports to the Dell XPS 8300 via a PCi express x1 card. Does it require a power cable?

For example if I add the Transcend PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Dual Expansion Card. Am I good to go, do I just plug it into the PCI-x1 slot?

Or I need to plug a power cable into the white bit?

Also if I have 2 hdds and 2 disc drives plugged in, it is not possible for to get a power cable?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 9th, 2011 06:00

I have used this card.  The power cable is required.  The way around this is to get SATA to Molex adapter.

Shopping results for SATA TO MOLEX POWER

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 9th, 2011 12:00

Thanks I thought so. But I have 4 SATA cables. 2 are up at the top of the system: 1 of these is for the disc drive, presumable the second is for the second disc drive (not installed). The other 2 are at the bottom of the system but used for each of the hard drives. I cannot stretch the cable from the disc drives to the bottom of the system, as are linked quite close together in sets of two.

There is no way to have 2 hard drives, 2 discs drives and this USB 3.0 card?

Would this card require additional power?

Looking at this part also. There is a splitter just as it goes to the hard drives. If I use this part and split it between the two harddrives (therefore there will be 2 splitters before I get to the hard drives - the original one and the one I added) and take the other end and add it to your connector (SATA to MOLEX) - original spliiter then connector then USB 3.0 card.

Will this work or drain too much power/slow down my drives? In addition to having 2 disc drives.

55 Posts

August 9th, 2011 17:00

I have an Alienware Area 51 which came preinstalled with a usb 3.0 PCIex1 card and it works just fine.  It does not require any power connection.  Here is the Dell driver and download site:   -  Its a Micro Star brand installed by Dell.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 10th, 2011 05:00

More power is required for FULL USB 3.0 compatibility.

* 50% more power is provided for unconfigured, passive hub or suspended devices (150 mA up from 100 mA), and 80% more power is available for configured devices (900 mA up from 500 mA). This means that more power-hungry devices that are USB 3.0  bus powered, and battery powered devices that previously charged using bus power will attempt to draw more power.

* A new Powered-B receptable is defined with two extra contacts that enable a devices to provide up to 1000 mA to another device, such as a Wireless USB adapter. This adds the need for a power supply to accompany card.. In regular wired USB connections to a host or hub provides 100ma or 500ma Max.

The biggest user of these I would think are Large USB FLash Drives and External Hard Drives that will not need a Y cable to tap extra power from the USB ports.

So the output power wise is 2X to 10 X more than usb 1.1 or 2.0. 

You can get a SATA power Splitter Cable and or extension cable for Molex.

20 Posts

December 24th, 2011 07:00

get a generic usb 3.0 superspeed card for less than $10, plug in the molex and save $30.  

since there are no extra power connectors on the psu, splice in a molex and save some more.  The blue scotchloks work well.  

can't see spending 40$ on a usb3 card for an $80 mobo.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2012 09:00

Chris M;   I assume this PCIe card requires a connection to my XPS 8300 power supply?  Do you know what type of connector is needed?

My XPS 8300 has motherboard sound and the AMD 6770 Video card and only one hard drive.  Is the proper connector available?

Tks for your help.....Tom Wood

20 Posts

February 26th, 2012 11:00

need a molex connector -

i cut one off a dead power supply and spliced it in

used smallest Scotchlok  i could get

saved money, but now up to 10.12  for the jacobs superspeed on the amazon

works fine

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=403

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi mate, I know the post was along time ago but did the module help with the front usb on top or below?

20 Posts

January 30th, 2013 16:00

It just for the back ( down under ) USB 3 ports that are added in.  

the front ones remain usb 3 

amazon has a card for $19 with 4 usb 3 highspeed ports.  Still needs the Molex power.  

search for uspeed Uspeed Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports and 4-Pin Power Connector for Desktops [one step to PC upgrade your PC to USB 3.0] - Uspeed

and for  Cables to Go 10149 ATA Male to LP4 Female Power Cable -6-Inch, Multi - C2G

No Events found!