speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Adding USB 3.0 card to new Dell XPS 8300?

More power is required for FULL USB 3.0 compatibility.

* 50% more power is provided for unconfigured, passive hub or suspended devices (150 mA up from 100 mA), and 80% more power is available for configured devices (900 mA up from 500 mA). This means that more power-hungry devices that are USB 3.0  bus powered, and battery powered devices that previously charged using bus power will attempt to draw more power.

* A new Powered-B receptable is defined with two extra contacts that enable a devices to provide up to 1000 mA to another device, such as a Wireless USB adapter. This adds the need for a power supply to accompany card.. In regular wired USB connections to a host or hub provides 100ma or 500ma Max.

The biggest user of these I would think are Large USB FLash Drives and External Hard Drives that will not need a Y cable to tap extra power from the USB ports.

So the output power wise is 2X to 10 X more than usb 1.1 or 2.0. 

You can get a SATA power Splitter Cable and or extension cable for Molex.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
fixinmyputer
1 Nickel

get a generic usb 3.0 superspeed card for less than $10, plug in the molex and save $30.  

since there are no extra power connectors on the psu, splice in a molex and save some more.  The blue scotchloks work well.  

can't see spending 40$ on a usb3 card for an $80 mobo.

0 Kudos
n4cid
1 Copper

Chris M;   I assume this PCIe card requires a connection to my XPS 8300 power supply?  Do you know what type of connector is needed?

My XPS 8300 has motherboard sound and the AMD 6770 Video card and only one hard drive.  Is the proper connector available?

Tks for your help.....Tom Wood

0 Kudos
fixinmyputer
1 Nickel

need a molex connector -

i cut one off a dead power supply and spliced it in

used smallest Scotchlok  i could get

saved money, but now up to 10.12  for the jacobs superspeed on the amazon

works fine

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=403

0 Kudos
willywatkin
1 Copper

Hi mate, I know the post was along time ago but did the module help with the front usb on top or below?

0 Kudos
fixinmyputer
1 Nickel

It just for the back ( down under ) USB 3 ports that are added in.  

the front ones remain usb 3 

amazon has a card for $19 with 4 usb 3 highspeed ports.  Still needs the Molex power.  

search for uspeed Uspeed Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports and 4-Pin Power Connector for Desk... - Uspeed

and for  Cables to Go 10149 ATA Male to LP4 Female Power Cable -6-Inch, Multi - C2G

0 Kudos
willywatkin
1 Copper

Thnx for reply but do you mean front usb remains 2 and can front usb changed to 3? also I've read graphics card reduces room for extra pci slots.

0 Kudos
fixinmyputer
1 Nickel

I would not try to make the front usb to 3 

4 ports in the back should be enough

I only use it for ext hard drives 

not many usb 3 superspeed peripherals 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos