Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

Adding VGA support to XPS 8920

I just picked up an XPS 8920 from the Dell Outlet and didn't realize that newer desktops no longer support VGA monitors out of the box. The graphics card it shipped with is an NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (I am not a gamer at all, but I do drive multiple monitors and do intensive video editing and multitasking).

Do I need to replace the graphics card? Did I get the wrong system?

I'm open to suggestions, but before you tell me to replace my monitors, I need VGA support because I am replacing an older XPS 8300 but do not want to replace the monitor configuration that I have. Specifically:

• I am driving dual monitors that do not support HDMI 
  • One is DVI, One is VGA
  • The monitors are are shared by two PCs. I switch between them using a KVM switch. (so each of the PCs utilizes both a VGA and a DVI out)
  • The other PC does not have HDMI out, so upgrading monitors would also require replacing that PC, and I'm not going to do that.

Thanks for your help. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

There are diplayport to VGA,  HDMI to VGA and DVI to VGA converters available -- you'll need one or more depending on what's on your video card.  

December 3rd, 2017 18:00

*SLAPS FOREHEAD*

Thanks.

1.2K Posts

December 4th, 2017 16:00

I believe nVidia dropped VGA analog support on the 10x0 cards, which means adapters we have used for years no longer work.

If you are set on using VGA, you may want to pickup an older card, like a GTX 960 and it should work with a DVI to VGA adapter.

edit: or use an active adapter, but I've not read great things about most of the active adapters so YMMV.

December 4th, 2017 19:00

Thanks. It sounds like the adapter I ordered won't work.

BUT I did a search and read that if I buy an active adapter with an embedded IC chip, then the card will work. Does that make sense? 

No Events found!