Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Adding a SSD to Dell Optiplex 760 SFF

That system uses the IDE interface and not the SATA interface. This interface is slower and IDE hard drives are hard to come by as they are obsolete. IDE SSD drives are even harder to come by and are quite expensive per GB.

Given that the system has only DDR RAM with a supported maximum of only 2 GB:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Dimension+%2f+Dimension+XPS/Dimension+2400+Series-upgrade...

I would say its not economic or worthwhile performance wise in buying any major upgrades for such an aged system. Bare in mind it will be running Windows XP which reaches End of Life in 6 months and a new Windows license is quite costly. See: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx

A new Inspiron 660 is available for $299 and will be superior to your ancient Dimension 2400 in every way:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660s/pd?oc=fdcwsx387&model_id=inspiron-660s

However you specified for less than $200 and this model has no SSD. So back to the OptiPlex 760, these are also highly superior to the Dimension 2400 and many businesses are selling them second hand with Windows 7 licenses for cheap as they perform their next hardware upgrade cycle:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=optiplex+760&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR...

This is again vastly superior to the Dimension 2400 even without the SSD upgrade.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Nexwork
1 Copper

natakuc4: Appreciate your lengthy reply but I apologize. Had I not used the word "update", you would have understood me. I plan to "replace" his ancient Dimension with an SFF Optiplex 7xx/3xx or HP dcXXXX system that has USB or eSATA motherboard header, or external eSATA. These are typically available for $40-$120. I have already invested $79 in 120GB Kingston V300 SSD.

I'd prefer a 3.5"-to-double 2.5" HD caddy and cabling solution which leaves the internal slim DVDRW operational but was confused by reference and link provided in this thread which suggests a slim DVD-to-2.5" caddy. Was that solution intended to eliminate the DVDRW entirely, or by connecting the SATA-to-USB adapter to USB header and somehow routing a cable through the chassis the DVDRW could be used externally? If the latter was the case, I wondered how power would be provided.

Since asking the question, I find that the Optiplex 755 motherboard has eSATA header, and the 760 has external eSATA so I'm considering the viability of going that route, as well, but may still need USB for 5V/12V power.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nexwork
1 Copper

Can anyone confirm whether the external eSATA provided on the Optiplex 760 provides power, or is data only? I cannot find specs but assume it does. Judging from the shape of the connector on rear diagrams I've found, it appears like the fully powered type. Couldn't this provide power and data if eSATA-to-SATA (22 pin) adapter cable were routed inside the chassis to a secondary 2.5" HD (as long as BIOS was configured for AHCI)?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

The SFF has only 2 SATA and only space for one 3.5" drive and the optical drive is slim in this model.

The solution was to replace the optical drive with the SSD and to use its SATA connector and power cable.

You could look for a OptiPlex 760 MT opposed to an OptiPlex 760 SFF which would be far easier to seat more drives and graphics cards.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Hi all, I recently obtained an Optiplex 760 SFF. It's a couple of years old but still runs pretty well. It has a Core Duo 2.5ghz processor, 4GB DDR2 ram and a 80GB HDD. I was hoping to use it as a home computer and to speed it up slightly was thinking of adding a SSD to the unit. Have any of you done this? Do you know if it'll work? From what I see there are two SATA ports on the motherboard, one of which is currently being used for the system hard drive. At present the unit does not have a disk drive, so I was going to put the extra storage drive there. Ideally I'd like the Windows OS on the SSD and all my documents/pictures on a standard HDD. If any of you have had experience of this, or know if it's possible, I'd love your comments.

I did that with an OptiPlex GX620 SFF, using a Silverstone 2.5-to-3.5-inch adapter. The Silverstone adapter allows a pair of 2.5-inch storage devices to fit into a single 3.5-inch bay, and thus you would be able to fit an SSD and a spindle drive into a hard drive caddy without having to deal with the optical drive bay.

I suggest a 128gb SSD and a 750gb laptop drive; naturally, you use the SSD for the OS and have the spindle drive reserved for storage.

0 Kudos
chhvick
1 Copper

Hi Shrikanth,

I checked the cable(4pin female to usb female) in the picture to attach to motherboard(9 pin) & SATA adaptor.

Can we attach 4 pin to 9 pin internal usb port on motherboard to make it work?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
6 Gallium

can somebody from Dell support answers the last question? does esata on 760 is power over esata type?

0 Kudos
Nexwork
1 Copper

My answer is to DZEBRYS question about the EXTERNAL eSATA port.

can somebody from Dell support answers the last question? does esata on 760 is power over esata type?

Powered eSATA is called "eSATAp". The eSATA port on the rear of the Optiplex 760 chassis is not eSATAp. The Desktop, Mini Tower, and Small Form Factor chassis provide one external standard eSATA (7-pin data only, NO POWER). The Ultra Small Form Factor chassis provides no external eSATA.

So, the only way to install additional SSD data and power is by using the internal adapter methods described by Speedstep and others on this and the previous page of this discussion.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

It will work fine or NOT AT ALL based on the case size. The official way to do it in most dells is to get the 2.5 to 3.5 blue plastic adapter R494D that snaps into the 3.5 inch drive holder. You can also use the Silverstone adapter has all the mount points of a standard 3.5" hard drive, and it's only $8 with free shipping. It holds two 2.5" devices stacked just like the R494D does.

The tower has no issues but the DT SFF and USFF may exibit the following error:

HDD replacement is not valid, continued use may result in long term HDD reliability issues, please press F1 if you would like to continue, and/or call Dell for replacement HDD.

Drives must be Western Digital or Samsung hard drives, due to thermal constraints.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro