Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2010 07:00

Adding a card with VGA/HDMI/DVI outputs.

I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530S, other than adding maximum memory and upgrading to Win7 Home Premium it has not been modified.

I want to provide a DVI output for my Dell 1908FPC monitor and provide a HDMI output to my big screen TV.

I have ordered a Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP card with VGA/HDMI/DVI outputs.

Other than installing the card, and using its software is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 20th, 2010 09:00

HDMI can be exclusive--you might not be able to use the dvi and the hdmi at the same time. HDMI has copy protection builtin--that's what HDCP means--hi-def copy protected. If you want to use dual monitors, you have to use dvi and vga. Your tv will be an external monitor since the video card has no tv tuner. Research HDMI-HDCP by starting HERE  Use a search engine to learn more. It will make your head spin. If you want to use hdmi make sure you buy cables online for a few dollars. Unlike speaker cables, high priced $30-$100 HDMI cables are a scam. I bought 3 hdmi cables for $10 at Amazon and they work fine. Just make sure they are no longer than 6 feet so your tv needs to be close to your computer, an inconvenience.

Edit--Here is a detailed article with ATI instructions for connecting HDMI to a tv. I tried my 2 yr old ati radeon hd 3650 card's hdmi with my hd tv and it worked with dvi connection to my monitor, but mine does not have the hdcp limitations.

22 Posts

September 20th, 2010 12:00

Hi Mary,

I should have asked the question do I have to somehow disable the Motherboard Intel integrated video?

I know the new card does not have a TV tuner, all I want to do is feed the HDMI to the TV so it will show the same video signal as I have on the desktop monitor. We have done this using VGA to watch family photos on the big screen when we have family get-togethers, but the VGA is pretty poor.

Thanks,

Don

268 Posts

September 21st, 2010 08:00

Don,

When you install a video card into your computer, the BIOS will automatically detect its presence and disable the onboard video. Its been this way for a number of years now.

Masi_GC

22 Posts

September 21st, 2010 11:00

Thanks Masi, that is good news, my computer is smarter than I am, it shocks my ego!

Don

No Events found!