Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2011 18:00

Adding a second video card to Inspiron 570

Hello,

I bought an ATI 5450 video card to go along with the onboard video in my Dell ( I want to run three monitors) but the onboard video doesn't work with the new card installed. The old onboard ATI 4200 doesn't show in Device Manager at all, only the new card. The BIOS doesn't have a selection for primary or secondary adaptors. Am I stuck with the current onboard only or will both adaptors function in this computer?

Thanks,

14.4K Posts

March 13th, 2011 12:00

No the onboard video will be disabled when it senses a video card. What you would need to do is try to run a combination of a PCIe and PCI card.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2011 11:00

Anyone out there have a recommendation for an additional PCI card that ACTUALLY IS KNOWN TO WORK FOR THIS PURPOSE?

Sorry for the caps, but there sure is a lot of generic advice here that doesn't work without specific information. I've tried a number of PCI cards in my Inspiron 570 PCI slot (not the PCI-E slot). They all cause Win7 to refuse to talk to the onboard graphics (Error 43, no description other than "a problem exists..").

I don't need gaming performance. Slideshow performance would be plenty good for my situation.

Seriously, there has to be someone somewhere who can give a recommendation of a card that will work?

270 Posts

May 4th, 2011 22:00

as the last commenter said any graphic card plug into your computer automatically DISABLES the onboard 4200 graphics ... if you have any graphics card plugged in the 4200 is shut off.  That is the way modern PCs work ... no way to override. 

i don't know if your ATI 5450 PCIe will work along with a pci card in another slot.  It might. It might not.  PCI video cards are very old technology.

there are ATI cards that support 3 monitors called Eyefininty cards .... the only catch is one of your monitors must use a display port connector  ... like the one below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102875&cm_re=Eyefinity-_-14-102-875-_-Product

this card has a VGA, a DVI, and a Dispaly port .... if your monitors don't support DVI or Diplay port there are adapters to go from DVI to VGA and Display Port to VGA.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2011 14:00

Thanks! This is good info.

The ATI 5450 PCIe is what we are going to use - it supports 3 monitors. Don't even need a 2nd PCI card.

Excellent!

3.7K Posts

May 5th, 2011 15:00

Thanks! This is good info.

The ATI 5450 PCIe is what we are going to use - it supports 3 monitors. Don't even need a 2nd PCI card.

Excellent!

Hi, I use the ATI 5670 in my 570.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 6th, 2011 12:00

There are PCI cards that support 4 or more monitors.

The alternative is to use a USB to VGA or USB to DVI adaptor.

STARTECH.COM USB to DVI Graphics Adapter : Laptop/Notebook ...

• Add a secondary display adapter and extend your desktop/notebook without taking apart your computer to install a new video card
  • No power adapter required and easy to install
  • Quick and easy installation
  • Supports resolutions up to 1600x1200(standard) and 1680x1050(wide) @ 32 bits
    Manufacturer Part# : USB2DVI
    Dell Part# : A1457208

December 17th, 2012 20:00

I need to know if this will work with the Intel graphics HD 3000 card. I have tried and when I install the 3rd monitor all monitors go into sleep mode. I would appreciate your help.

No Events found!