Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2017 19:00

Adding internal hard disk to 8700

I have an Inspirion 530 running Windows Vista with a 320 GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (Western Digital WD3200AAKS) which I would like to retire.  A couple of years ago I bought an 8700 which is now upgraded to Windows 10 with a Hard Drive described as KPF74 Hard Drive 1T, S3, 7.2K.  Not sure of the make as I didn't remove it.

I would like to use the Inspirion Hard Disk as a second Hard Disk in the 8700, hopefully without formatting it.  As I don't know much about the interchangeability in this scenario I am wondering what my options are?   I am assuming that I can use the SATA cable that came with the Inspirion Hard Disk and plug it into SATA 2 on the motherboard as I have a DVD in SATA 1.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2017 17:00

Worked as expected so thanks for the insight.  Yes, we have all learned the backup routine, the hard way........

3 Posts

June 5th, 2017 17:00

Thanks for the input.  I went with it and it does function as expected since I am only using the additional drive for the data that is already on it.  However, the system overall seems much slower than before but will have to run some tests with and without the additional drive to see if that is true or just my imagination.  Thanks again.

1.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2017 23:00

should just work as you expect it to. There are extra SATA power cables in the 8700.

cant say it enough, but backup your data before moving things around...

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 4th, 2017 01:00

You can use it as a data disk without reformatting it, but it likely won't boot as is, considering the age of Vista. Upgrade it to 7 and then to 10 and it might boot.

The old drive and cable are quite compatible with the 8700.

No Events found!