Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2010 09:00

After reformat No Sound - Driver for Video Controller MIA

i'm grateful in advance for any assistance as i'm so frustrated at the moment i feel like, well, pitching the tower out my 4th floor window......

i've posted here because the device mgr showed a yellow mark next to video controller yesterday, even tho i had video - but no sound.  i hope this is the right place - it not, tell me where to go to post.  thanks.

reformatted my dell dimension E510 with xp after hit by a virus - - had trouble getting on line - device mgr showed the ethernet controller was not showing up - found the right driver, downloaded it and it's fine now.

however, i have no sound, no little speaker icon in my systray.  device mgr shows NO yellow / marks after attempt to down load the proper video drivers yestereay, but i still have no sound in my videos and nothing in the systray         "sounds and audio devices" in the control panel shows no audio devices on the first tab - everything is grayed out.

device manager now shows yellow for the following - PCI device, PCI modem, SM bus controller

i'm a writer with a project due today that involves music -  arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  and THanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2010 11:00

I have an E510, and I happen to be a musician.

From your description it would appear you skipped the Intel Chipset drivers on install and they MUST be installed BEFORE installing sound drivers.  The chipset drivers define (identify) all the hardware devices on or attached to the motherboard.  This would account for other devices not working also.

On an Install or Reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (if applicable) (3) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (4) Install device drivers including sound, video, eithernet, etc. 

In most cases if the chipset drivers were skipped you can install them, restart the PC and then install the sound, video and whatever else was skipped.  In a few isolated cases it takes a new/correct install sequence to get it going.

If you've lost the Dell drivers and utilities disc you can download needed E510/XP drivers HERE   The SigmaTel driver is the one for the standard Integrated Audio (on the motherboard) that most have.

April 12th, 2010 12:00

ok, thanks so far :).  i can find my way respectably around a drum set, but "chipset" eludes me.  i'd be happy to install them if i knew exactly what they are called and where to find them. :) and what they are called exactly.  (assume near illiteracy here)

412 Posts

April 13th, 2010 15:00

Hey, i've seen this a few times. Try the chipset first; if that doesn't work we'll try audio. Follow these steps:

Dell.com>Technical Support (upper right of page)>Home users support>Select Computer model (choose desktop-dimension-E510).
On this page should be all the drivers for the computer models of this series. From the list click the little down arrow by "Chipset (1)"
It should be described as "Intel - Chipset." Click on "Download" on the far right. Once download complete, just follow standard installation procedure (same as any of the other drivers you downloaded ;])

If you need the audio as well, follow the same steps but click on the "Download" further up inder the "Audio (3)" category.
Depending on your model, it may be the Creative Labs driver or the SIGMATEL driver. If you aren't sure, download both first (choose "Save" instead of "Run" if you're using Internet Explorer) & then attempt to install them one by one.

Hope this helps. Please post back & debrief us on success/failure.
Thanks.

No Events found!