mistermino
2 Bronze

Alienware x51 r1 Bios version A08 won't update to A12 or A14

I've tried to update my bios from version A08 to versions A12 or A14

The file will say it's successful in updating and to reboot, however once I get to the alien head splash screen it remains at A08 bios version. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RoHe
8 Krypton

RE: Alienware x51 r1 Bios version A08 won't update to A12 or A14

You'll probably get a better response if you re-post this in the Alienware Club forum. Be sure to mention the version of Windows.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
mistermino
2 Bronze

Actually someone posted the same question there and hasn't had a response other than trying safe mode. Which btw doesn't work. I've tried cleaning cmos, safe mode with command prompt and execute via dos. Only thing I haven't tried yet is trying to get it to run off of a usb. Which I'm not sure if it'll even run if I make it bootable.

0 Kudos
RoHe
8 Krypton

When I go through the product tree on Dell's Support page, I see links for "Alienware Area 51" and for "Alienware X51". So are you trying to flash A14 for the "X51" on an "Area 51" ?

BTW: It's not a good idea to update BIOS unless the new version fixes a problem that your system actually has...

EDITED

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
mistermino
2 Bronze

firmly aware, apparently a 1060 gtx card won't upgrade and install/work unless the A14 bios are successfully upgraded onto the x51

I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. thanks for trying to help

0 Kudos
mistermino
2 Bronze

Well hopefully it helps someone in the same boat I was.

Utilize Win USB Maker to create a bootable USB drive with MS DOS, copy the A14 Bios file onto the drive as well.

Type in the BIOS exe either from the USB or the C:\ drive and it all updated perfectly.

Now off to try and install the 1060 GTX and see if it works.

0 Kudos
BaxterMudsyLinc
2 Bronze

Hi - Thanks for posting.  I am having the same issue.  I have A12, but can't get to A14 and need it to install a GTX 1070.  However, your fix isn't working for me.  When I create the bootable USB drive, the driver file won't run stating the file is incompatible with my version of windows (10).

Any additional suggestions are appreciated.  The tool runs but never updates just like you were experiencing.

Thanks and I hope your video card worked out.

0 Kudos
BaxterMudsyLinc
2 Bronze

Same issue as you.  Did you have any issue with the Bios update stating it coudln't run in the DOS prompt due to incompatible windows mode?  I have 10.

If you don't mind giving more explicit instructions, I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
mistermino
2 Bronze

you have to run the bios file in a boot up dos, not within Windows 10.

So basically once you've made an MS Dos boot USB stick.

Next copy the file to either C:\ directory or your USB stick ( I changed the file name to 14.exe on the C:\ drive)

Next you reboot the system hit F2 to get into the bios.

Now move over to boot, and change from UEFI to Legacy, and it'll force your computer to boot straight to a bootable media (i.e. your USB Stick with MS Dos on it).

Next type in "14.exe" (or whatever your Asus bios A14 file is).

should be all done and installed, now reboot, go back into your bios with F2, and change your boot to UEFI from Legacy, and you're done.

0 Kudos