atlneppie
6 Indium

Almost perfect video card for Inspiron 530 (Nvideo 8400GS)

After stumbling at first on what was apparently too much video for my 300w psu (see thread below), decided on PNY's 8400GS (512MB)  for a reliable PCI slot.  It is the best digital video I need for what I knew what not a gaming system when purchased.   Of course, there is always a problem. 

When shutting down the video card kicks in and automatically initiates a restart.  I've of course disabled the onboard drivers for the intel graphics and even attempted to swap the other PCI slot with wireless network card.   The wireless works perfectly in both slots,  and am certain the graphics card is inserted properly.  Yet the Dell still reboots  when attempting to shut down.   The only way to completely shut down is to remove power.

Still I like the card.  It lets me muck around with 3D graphics in Second Life and does not appear to slow the system down when engaged in non-gaming activity.  Also my desktop is normaly "awake" 24/7;  I only turn off when necessary. 

Anyone experience a similar problem?

The Earlier Chapter: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19294913/19554699.aspx

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atlneppie
6 Indium

Re: Almost perfect video card for Inspiron 530 (Nvideo 8400GS)

RESOLVED! 

Kudos.  Kudos * infinity,  to PNY support.  After quickly moving through the basic drills (I believe the tech recognized I was at least, if barely, semi-competent),  went on to investigate the Dell BIOS (apparently collaborating with NVideo peoples) and recommended I turn off the "auto wake" features in the BIOS.  It seems rather obvious now.  However the tech drilled down faster than I could.  One of the few times a call to the manufacturer's tech support paid off. 

For future reference.  A problem resolved.

0 Kudos