Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2017 15:00

Amber power light of death flashing Dell optiplex gx620

Hello guys i hope someone can help me. My desktop stoped working and it showed me the amber power light.

First i cleaned the inside of the desktop from dust. I checked the battery it was fine ( 3V as indicated) then i checked rams. Also fine. Checked the video card also fine. Then i figured maybe it's the power supply. I jumped it and it worked the fan works and most of the outputs are fine. Then i tried to plug only the 24pin conector on the the mobo , it worked fine the fan kept spinning the HDD worked the cd-rom workd ..there was no stopping. But once i pluged the 4 pin atx mobo ps, every thing stoped again. I repeated the same thing 3 times. Once the 4 pin atx is pluged everything stops. What should i do. Is it the mobo ? Please help

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 10:00

Flashing Amber power button = BAD power supply.

July 23rd, 2017 01:00

Hi Eddysam,

If the power button is showing solid amber, then power supply unit is fine but the motherboard is not able to process the data, which mean motherboard is able to distribute the power but cannot process data.

On the front panel, you will see diagnostics led's 1,2,3,4. What is the status of these?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number with the results so that we can check.

July 23rd, 2017 01:00

Hi Eddysam,

Please check the power button if it is solid or flashing, is there any pattern for the same. Please check the keyboard caps lock and number lock key if it toggles while the system is turned on.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

Hello Dell-akshatha M

There is no diagnostics lights i wish there was that would mean the.motherboaed is ok. But sadly there is no 1234 lights. Only flashing amber when the 4pin 12V is pluged

Or solide amber when i unplug the 4pin 12V.

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 05:00

Hey friend

About the light, it's solide without pluging 4pin 12V. But when it's pluged the light is flashing. The keyboard doesnt show any response at all. The mouqe shows power light for few moments thats it.

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 11:00

Yeah maybe. When i get back from work i will try the powersuply in another desktop. Same thing for the motherboard. This will be my final diagnocis

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 17:00

Well guys, i tried my powersuply on another desktop its fine its working. Then i have unplged the cpu to see if the rest of the hardwares will still keep working, and they did there was no stopping and the amber light was solide. When i put the cpu back and run the desktop the hardwares stoped again and the amber light fmashing. So its either the cpu or the motherboard i guess. What do you think ?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 18:00

You have to use an EPS12v power supply.  GX620 towers are $119 or less.  If you damaged the socket aka bent pins then you get solid amber power button = dead motherboard.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/420065323

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 20:00

This was really helpful from you guys. thank you all so much.

No Events found!