joey008
1 Nickel

Are the heatsink/fans for the optiplex 270 and 280 different?

I bought a dell socket 775 mobo on ebay and now need the hs/f , the mobo is a foxconn ls-36 and serial cn-0n4846-13740-47u-00un  the spacer that holds the hs/f in seems to be part number,foxconn  c-3598, i went and bought an optiplex 270 hs/f and it doesn't fit, it look like it could be a 280 . It's hard to find out.

Why waste yout time and money you may say, good question, i am pretty fed up of the whole thing now, was a mistake in ever buying the board as it's both old and dell propriety which i didn't know at the time - was just cheap, but i can get a 280 hs/f for a few £, so may as well just buy it at least then i can sell again as a package. I think with a bit of tweaking it the board may just fit into my case.

Also i notice that the board has no 3 pin fan connectors, so i will have to buy a 4pin molex to 3 pin connector. I am guessing the bios has dells stamp as well, no overclocking i suppose.?

Thank for any advice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Are the heatsink/fans for the optiplex 270 and 280 different?

The board in question is indeed from a GX280, and yes, the heatsink is different - the GX270 was a socket 478 board;  the GX280 is socket 775.

0 Kudos
joey008
1 Nickel

Re: Are the heatsink/fans for the optiplex 270 and 280 different?

Thanks, on searching for GX280 heatsink/fans i see there seem to be different models of these as well, maybe they are all the same fit but they seem to have model numbers like, 9G180 ,T5098, T2607,7G597 they are still all GX280 though  . Are these all still the same size/fit of heatsink on the motherboard socket.  Also on one of the hs/f's i found it says the fan has a 5-pin connector.  Again do you know if this is correct or likely ?   I take it the Dell fan connector are attached direct to the PSU?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos