Attention: Unsupported Video Configuration Detected

System halted!
Attention: Unsupported Video Configuration Detected

Action is Required

This computer has an add-in graphics card, but the monitor is plugged
into the integrated video connector.
To attach the monitor cable to the add-in graphics card:

1. Shut down the computer
2. Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics card connector.
This may require a video adapter or video adapter cable.
(provided with the system)
3. Turn on the computer.

This message should not appear after completing these steps.
For more information or help, please refer to the system documentation

I have been using this Dimension C521 for over a year now and all of a sudden this error message pops up. I didn't install any new video card, and there is no video card. My monitor is plugged into the only outlet that matches it. Is there anyway to resolve this?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

July 11th, 2009 14:00

Enter Setup (bios) by pressing F2 at the very first screen. Check the settings for video and correct if necessary.* The integrated video connection normally has a cap on it so it is not readily visible if you have a separate video card. Check the back of the tower again to make sure you don't have 2 video connections. Post back with what you find.

*Get a friend to help if you are not comfortable with changing any settings in the bios.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 24th, 2014 12:00

DVI is digital and there are no splitters.  LFH is not a splitter but rather a dual Monitor connection that can be DUAL VGA or DUAL DVI-D.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 17th, 2015 09:00

You cannot use the Built onto the system VGA connector when there is a card in the X16 Video slot.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 17th, 2015 09:00

I'm having the same problem.  But my "add in" card is a TV Tuner Card (Hauppauge TV Tuner OEM WinTV-HVR-1250 Low Profile 79661) plugged into PCIe port of Dell Optiplex 745.  It does not have any VGA or DVI ports.  Suggestions?

You cannot use the PCI-E X16 slot for cards that are NOT Video cards.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2017 05:00

For Older Optiplex models this error message is permanent.   There IS NO MULTI DISPLAY bios mode for Older Optiplex 980,780,380,960,760,360,755,745, 320 etc.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2009 13:00

Still looking for help... thanks in advance.

1 Message

August 1st, 2009 16:00

Hey I am having the same problem, but when I go to BIOS set up, I dont see any set up for video,

in the main menu of BIOS, I have option of System Date, System time, Floppy A, HDD Smart, System Info and Memory Info.

In the advanced menu, the options are Advanced Chipset Feature ( sub-menu is only Video Memory Size), Integrated Peripherals, PnP/PCI Configuration, CPU configuration and USB configuration.

Looking for help, please help me~~

1 Message

February 7th, 2011 17:00

Hi, so many people seem to have this problem that I wrote a little "how-to" guide. In your case it sounds like you might need to get an adapter to plug your monitor into the add-in graphics card instead of into the integrated card. See How to fix: unsupported video configuration detected for details.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2012 23:00

what now happens to your integrated video card/port?  can it still function for a duplicate/second monitor?

1 Message

September 6th, 2012 07:00

I have had this same message when I have tried to connect my HD screen with my computer using a DVI-D with an HDMI, but I get this message. Is there anyway I can solve this issue?

Thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

September 6th, 2012 12:00

daybarr, that is a nice writeup, but I want to add a second monitor.

The primary monitor always was connected to the DVI port on the add on card.  I connected a second monitor using a VGA cable to the on board port while windows was booted.  I right clicked on the desktop and in properties for ATI2400 PRO I right clicked the second monitor and selected "Extend desktop to this monitor".  I hit apply and the second screen just wouldn't turn on.

I figured well maybe it has to see the monitor when its powered on, so I did a shut down.  I power on and then got the message in the post above.  It's so stupid in my opinion if you have 2 graphics ports that you can't extend the desktop.  Even in Windows it shows a monitor 1 and monitor 2, just monitor 2 will not stay active.

I installed the latest AMD 2400 graphics driver from Dell's site by going to the support and drivers section and entering the service tag number.  I also updated the bios from A09 to A14.  This is a Dell Optiplex 755.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

October 4th, 2012 07:00

We ended up installing a newer video card that had dual DVI on it.  It was only $40 from Newegg and its made by eVGA with an NVIDIA chipset.

The new video card works great.  Now we can have dual monitors running.  This fixes the problem with the computer not supporting 2 monitors even though there were 2 ports on it.  $40 was not a bad price to be able to work more efficiently with two monitors.

1 Message

March 15th, 2014 13:00

Please I have been getting this message. I did not instill anything different. How do I resolve tis.

1 Message

April 20th, 2014 15:00

I solved the "Unsupported Video" error on Dell Optiplex 760 by updating BIOS from A03 to A16
- The error occurred every time I tried to use the integrated VGA output (instead of the DVI output PCI-e add-on card)
- The A03 BIOS had an option for selecting the integrated VGA, but disabled that automatically, every time it detected the PCIe card.

So the "Unsupported Video" error was a bug in the A03 BIOS, in my case.

No Events found!