Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 18:00

Attn: XPS 8700 Owners - Upgrade!!

Hello all,

I am an owner of a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with an i7 4970 CPU.
Out of the box this computer is pretty darn quick but I wanted just a bit more in a smaller form factor.

I have a GTX 980 and an i7 4790k CPU from another machine and wanted to see if this machine would support the upgrade without gutting it.

I also took a stab at adding an ASETEK 545LC (92mm) cooler to the mix to keep things in check.
Last but not least, I also added a 250GB Samsung mSATA card. Early reports indicated you needed the extreme edition to see beyond 32GB cards (???)

I searched high and low on the interwebs and didnt get much in returns of success. 

So for those of you looking to squeeze a bit more out of your machines without upgrading PSU, motherboard...then I hope this helps. 

-Upgraded to i7 4790k (10% increase over the stock 4790)
-GTX 980 (using stock 460w PSU)
-Added 92mm liquid cooling (Asetek 545LC - $97 on ebay)
-Replaced 92mm chassis fan with CoolerMaster 92mm 4-pin PWM fan.
-Added 250GB mSATA drive.

Notes:

- Stress testing CPU returns temp of 68C.
-CPU pump runs off the 3pin chassis fan header and the rear fan is driven from the 4pin CPU fan.
-Upon putting the 4790k in, BIOS  (A11) now has a similar OC feature like alienware OC lvl 1, OC lvl2.

Photos below. Feel free to msg me with questions.

6 Posts

October 8th, 2015 18:00

if youre going to buy a new mobo, i would just buy a new case. 

i transplanted the oem mobo into a new case that came with a fan controller and hooked up 3 fans to it and its alot better already

1.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 19:00

if youre going to buy a new mobo, i would just buy a new case.

+1

172 Posts

October 27th, 2015 03:00

May as well build a new PC if am going through all of that trouble. Decent Z97 MB's costs almost as much as the i7-4770 does, especially one that's feature filled. While there may be lower cost solutions, one's likely going to give up features. 

The main reason why I'd want a Z97 MB is to install a PCIe SSD, with reads of 2,000MB/sec & writes of 1,400MB/sec, which is 3x better than most SATA-3 SSD's, and would be the only reason to recycle my i7-4770 CPU. 

And to think that Costco had it all in a XPS 8900, including Windows 7 Pro & an unlocked CPU in the i7-6700K, with 16GB of DDR4 RAM for $999.99 plus tax & shipping. Sold out in 2 days, before I could decide what to do. It's likely a great platform to build on, all that would be needed (for me) is the PCIe SSD. That 16GB of DDR4 RAM is likely faster than my 32GB of DDR3 (Moore's Law), and is probably a great PC for the cash. One couldn't possibly build it for that. 

I'll probably stick with my original plan, a self build, and other than the 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD I'm going to install shortly after Black Friday sales (this SSD will be at or below $200 with a promo code), that will be the final upgrade for my XPS 8700. Can remove the two smaller SSD's & place them elsewhere, and have a 256GB Crucial M550 SSD that I hope can be used in a RAID mode with the same type in here, only it's an mSATA, same model & capacity, to install Windows 7 & Linux Mint 17 on. 

Whether it's doable or not, I'll find out. 

Stashing away $50-75 monthly for a self build will get me where I want in about a couple of years, want at least a 6 core Intel CPU, preferably an 8 core, as I understand that's the only way to reach a 7.9 on the Windows 7 WEI for CPU (legit). That may be wrong, yet it's what I've read from several sources. 

Seems that Dell would offer these type of options for these PC's, there's more customers than those running servers who would want a 6 or 8 core CPU over a quad, which has reached it's peak. These will never run at 5GHz w/out overclocking. 

Cat

6 Posts

October 27th, 2015 07:00

if you haven't bought a new one yet, then yes I would just build your own.  However I think the rest of us (in this thread) have already bought the dell and wanted to upgrade instead of selling and rebuilding

1.2K Posts

October 27th, 2015 13:00

May as well build a new PC if am going through all of that trouble. Decent Z97 MB's costs almost as much as the i7-4770 does, especially one that's feature filled. While there may be lower cost solutions, one's likely going to give up features. 

I don't agree. The motherboard I bought for my last build was about $110 after rebates for a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5.  If I was buying for a locked processor like the i7 4770 I would have bought a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) for about $90.

The Gaming 5 is better at overclocking than the HD3 which is why I chose it to pair with a 4790K.

The main reason why I'd want a Z97 MB is to install a PCIe SSD, with reads of 2,000MB/sec & writes of 1,400MB/sec, which is 3x better than most SATA-3 SSD's, and would be the only reason to recycle my i7-4770 CPU. 

With Z97,  A high-end graphics card will use all 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0, so the PCIe 4x slot is PCI 2.0, which is no faster than m.2 best I can tell.

If you need SSD storage at PCIe 3.0 speeds look at X99 motherboards, or perhaps some Z170 boards that has a PCIe 3.0 4x slot that does not take away PCIe 3.0 lanes from the graphics card.

172 Posts

January 29th, 2016 09:00

OK, I took the i7-4790K dive last night!:emotion-2:

But not for the reasons I'd had wanted to. Microsoft has announced limited support for Windows 7 on Skylake CPU's, even for those who purchased Dell & other OEM PC's with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled. That must explain why the Windows 10 Pro DVD is included in the package, and the computers has a Windows 10 license baked in the UEFI. 

It was my intention to get a i7-6700K & MB, yet after reading a couple of Topics on the Bleeping Computer Forum, where I'm an active Advisor on, decided to pull the trigger before pricing for the i7-4790K rose past the $400 mark. It has risen on Newegg already, the promos used to be $289-299, with the promo I got ($15 off) & $1.99 for 3 day shipping, the total price was still $326.98. Meaning the price of the CPU was nearly $340 (I believe it was $339.99). 

The more the word gets out, the more who'll want the CPU, and then retailers (online or local) can charge what they please, as long as consumers are paying the price. I fully expect before all is said & done, the last batches of these will be over $400. 

Now, to ask a question. Where is it in the UEFI (or BIOS) the performance settings located? I've updated to A11 months ago in preparation for Windows 10, yet didn't like the OS & rolled back with my backup image to 8.1 Pro w/Media Center created prior to the upgrade, and used a method posted to remove Telemetry & other updates, these were removed with a .bat file, along with other changes.

techne.alaya.net

Looking to get as much performance out of the XPS 8700 as I can get, until I can save to purchase the necessary components to build my own, there'll be options for 1150 MB's for some time. Then I can use the new CPU in the new build. 

For now, am looking to get the best performance I can from the i7-4790K, and hopefully can finally reach the 7.9 WEI mark, all components other than the RAM (7.8) & CPU (7.7), just 0.3 total are keeping me from the perfect score. 

Suggestions as to how to tune the CPU for best performance while maintaining air cooling will be greatly appreciated.:emotion-1:

Cat

172 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

i7-4790K finally arrived today!:emotion-2:

Can I use my stock Dell heatsink/fan or do I have to use the Intel one in the package, which hasn't been opened yet. 

I'd like to get the CPU installed in the next day or so, but don't want to mess with liquid cooling, as I don't game & don't expect to push the CPU hard. It's basically for bragging rights on another forum where I participate, and better than the i7-6700K. 

Cat

172 Posts

February 4th, 2016 21:00

It is possible to remove the Intel fan, which is held on by a couple of tabs & install the Intel heatsink (with copper core) with the quiet Dell Fan, like stock photo below? 

en.community.dell.com/.../20160107_5F00_205836_5F00_resized2.jpg

Picture courtesy of granterb on the 23rd page of this Topic. 

en.community.dell.com/.../20869903

It wasn't stated that this high dollar CPU would use the same old cheap & sometimes loud Intel fans with old timey push pin connectors, for years many computers has used screws, even my Dell Dimension 2400 did. Am tempted to get a fan/heatsink that a buyer of the i7-4790K owner didn't want, cut out the push pins (as I did with the Dimension 2400) & just use the screws supplied with the XPS 8700. Intel could have easily molded these screw holes in as a 2nd option at the minimum, yet I guess I need to take that up with them on their tech forum. 

I would straight out use the stock XPS 8700 CPU fan/heatsink, if it had a copper core. Am rather surprised (or disappointed) that with an i7-4770, still one of the top common quads on the PassMark list for 2.5 years straight, (just a little over 100 points of the 10,000 mark) runs with aluminum cooling only. No wonder the idle temps are inching upwards, probably should have cleaned both the CPU & heatsink and placed some MX-4 on there at least a year back. 

Please, this Topic was opened to XPS 8700 users to upgrade, how about some advice? After spending $326 for this CPU (on promo), it would be a shame to have to spend more to make it work. :emotion-6:

Cat

1.2K Posts

February 4th, 2016 23:00

Yes, the 4790K has the same fan that a G3258 has. Not a bad fan, but not that good and not that quiet.

On my non-dell Z97 desktop, I run a Cryorig R1 ultimate to cool my 4790K overclocked to 4.7Ghz. 

It is HUGE, and it will in no way fit in an XPS 8700 case but it is a fantastic cooler.

In the 8700 case, I think I'd try to fit a Cryorig H7. It runs about $35 

The forum doesn't like it when I post links so replace the DOT with . and check it out.

www DOT techpowerup DOT com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/9.html

I'm not sure the H7 mount will work with the screws on the Dell MoBo. I'd email Cryorig tech support to see if they have suggestions. 

172 Posts

February 9th, 2016 18:00

Oh, the i7-4790K is SWEET......and don't believe the 'high temps' bull that AMD owners & wannabes tries to spread to discourage folks from buying this COOL running BEAST!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fXJt1u1cGg2ZIGHtSUBlyrn

29C & the PC has been running for nearly 2 hours? Who the heck who knows how to install a CPU can claim temps of 74-75C afterwards? Intel would be having RMA's left & right if the chip were running that hot with everyday usage, in fact I believe may be it's throttle point & would be constantly crashing (BSOD's). 

The only tricky thing was the install, yet found a sweet tip to improvise, carefully cut the ends off of the push pins (they won't go in the XPS 8700 MB), or wiggle the white tabs back & forth with small pliers (wire cutters may snip these for easy removal), and push the pins through the top. Being sure AT ALL TIMES to also hold onto the corner of the heatsink tab being worked on, if broken, a new heatsink/fan will be needed. Afterwards, make SURE that the fan freely spins. Mine had a wire in the way, though from experience, knew what to look for. 

Once all 4 push pins are removed, then all that's needed are 4 of the screws that used to retain an optical drive in place, and preferably, a decent brand of thermal paste. I use MX-4 on all of my CPU installs & done the same here, used alcohol on tissue paper to clean off whatever that junk was on the heatsink. Why? Because every time I've used this garbage, the CPU's runs hot, regardless of generation, series or even brand, as a result, 2x the work was needed. 

It's just there for insurance, Intel provides this as a 'happy medium', it's the same junk they use on the boxed Pentium & i3 models. 

Back to the screws. Once the CPU is in place & locked down & a pea sized drop of paste on the CPU, and have the screws in the heatsink to help things go smoothly, line up the CPU & ease it down. Then give it a small twist, just a wiggle, to make the paste spread good. For those who uses the provided paste on the heatsink, do it now, or regret it & redo later, am just trying to save you the time & trouble of doing it again. 

Newegg often has MX-4 thermal paste on promo for $5.99 per a 4 gram tube. That's enough to do this one, and about 3-4 more for friends. Note that they don't guarantee their paste for 8 years for nothing, not even Intel guarantees their paste (or streaks of) that long. 

Now the last part, the tightening of the screws, hold down the cooler in the center of the fan & in a criss-cross motion, begin by tightening the screws a few turns in a criss-cross pattern, and keep on doing to until all are snug (but don't over torque), just until it's hard to turn. Plug in the fan cord, for now, leave the side door off for just in case, and if all is fine, your Speccy specs will show as mine. 

Also make sure that the A11 BIOS is installed, there are performance features that most OEM PC's doesn't have, not quite that of a self built, but still, any performance upgrades in a OEM BIOS is a plus. 

I'm very pleased with my i7-4790K install!:emotion-2:

Cat

172 Posts

February 12th, 2016 20:00

Quote by Dan-H

"If you need SSD storage at PCIe 3.0 speeds look at X99 motherboards, or perhaps some Z170 boards that has a PCIe 3.0 4x slot that does not take away PCIe 3.0 lanes from the graphics card."

Thanks for this! Now I know what to be looking for in a 1150 MB, which I'm sure are going away no time soon.:emotion-2:

Cat

1 Message

February 13th, 2016 06:00

Hi guys,

This forum has been a useful reference before I carried out upgrades on my XPS8700.

Bought my unit in July 2014 and initially upgraded to my graphic card to accommodate multi-monitor displays tru displayport daisy-chaining. Then I got hooked on further upgrades, so here's what I have done so far;

- maximized RAM to 32gb (4x8gb 1600mhz ddr3)

- upgrade WLAN card to Wireless LAN 802.11ac (for 5ghz wireless connection)

- win10 pro upgrade

- change CPU cooler to Cooler Master Hyper D92 (tight clearance)

- Storage: 512gb SSD (OS) & 2 1TB harddisk (data & backup)

Upcoming upgrades: 

- install msata SSD 500gb (OS will be shifted here)

- install fan behind the front panel (Has anyone done it?)

- led lighting at the bottom honeycomb front panel (saw someone in youtube added in a red LED, looks cool)

- i tried to utilize one of the unused bay as a storage bay but failed. (tried with SEATAY 5.25" drive bay storage drawer) (Anyone has managed to utilize his spare bay for something useful?)

85 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 00:00

hockeytown_N , is it possible to put another rivet unto the hole in my area 51 ? btw i sent you a friend request . please accept thank you very much

172 Posts

February 24th, 2016 12:00

alpha431, the 802.11ac upgrade & a dedicated sound card to take advantage of the TOSLINK digital option on my soundbar are my last two major upgrades for my XPS 8700. Plus may consider the 92mm front fan that other members has stated there was a place for, but not installed, for the best possible cooling. 

Don't understand why Dell didn't install a TOSLINK port on the XPS 8700 nor 8900, it's not like it's new technology. It's the best digital signal one can have, versus the '7.1 audio' solution on the MB. 

To be honest, don't know why anyone needs a huge CPU cooler or liquid one, as my temps are low & steady. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JcmIkWOghrscVtrLldPNfE6

So why invest $30-100+ in extra cooling when my CPU is running between 28 & 34C? How much cooler will it run? If it were to lead to drops to 14-18C, could see it, yet below 35C is nothing to sweat over. I've seen many systems running much higher, have three notebooks that doubles the 29C mark at times, just installing Windows Updates. 

Cat

1.2K Posts

February 24th, 2016 16:00

To be honest, don't know why anyone needs a huge CPU cooler or liquid one, as my temps are low & steady. 

They all are at idle and low load levels.

But, if it runs something that is actually working all cores of the CPU hard it will heat up.

The stock cooler is OK, but it is noisy.

No Events found!