Dan-H
3 Zinc

RE: Attn: XPS 8700 Owners - Upgrade!!

To be honest, don't know why anyone needs a huge CPU cooler or liquid one, as my temps are low & steady. 

They all are at idle and low load levels.

But, if it runs something that is actually working all cores of the CPU hard it will heat up.

The stock cooler is OK, but it is noisy.

0 Kudos

The fan that came with mine has ran quiet, and temps has stayed in normal range (28-35C) even after hours of use. Sure I can hear it, yet no louder than the stock cooler that was with the i7-4770. 

On the other hand, am not a gamer, but do run virtual machines, which uses lots of power, on one have 8GB RAM & 4 CPU cores assigned. 

Should I see a temp increase, will consider a 3rd party cooler, but not liquid, at least as long as the system is under warranty. There's likely some type of low profile aftermarket cooler that's popular among the hundreds of thousands of XPS 8700 owners, this model was at well over 2 years, one of Dell's larger model runs. Other OEM's changes models every 3-6 months, I suppose to keep owners confused as to upgrades. 

That's an area where I'm glad that Dell changed, using standard Intel components & for the most part, doing away with all of the proprietary connectors, which was costly & a lot of trouble to upgrade simple components. For example, to add an Intel CPU cooler to my retired Dimension 2400, had to order some type of plate to hold the cooler retainers, and like this upgrade, had to snip the pins off of the cooler, provide power via a Molex connector to some 3rd party adapter to make the fan run, and just left the OEM exhaust fan plugged in & let the cooler run full speed, and it was needed. 

The CPU upgrade at the time was considered the ultimate Dimension 2400 upgrade, a 3.06GHz P4 with H/T (Northwood), if it wasn't limited to a 0.5MB L2 cache, could had been a decent CPU. I do know this, in the winter, could drop the thermostat, close the door to the PC room & within an hour was cozy. 

Yes, I'm glad that Dell listened to their customers, plus look at the money saved in not having all of these oddball connectors that would change over models. That's one reason why after 13 years, am still a Dell customer & recommend the brand. 

BTW, as far as the i7-4790K goes, it has a higher Passmark score (11214) than the i7-6700K (11,015), and the i7-4700 that shipped with the PC wasn't shabby at 9832. Yet the fact that the i7-6700K was beaten by the i7-4790K was a shocker, and may be showing that Moore's Law is catching up. The CPU dies are forever shrinking, how much more can these shrink & expected to be powerhouse models? The same is taking place with GPU's, and some enthusiasts aren't convinced that newer models, though consumes less power, are more powerful enough to pony up $300 or more. The GTX 960 was one example of enthusiasts backing off of upgrading, when introduced starting around $209 for 2GB GDDR5 models ($239 for 4GB models), many smelled that something wasn't right, compared to some 700 series models. 

It may just turn out, that those of us who took the i7-4790 upgrade, made the best decision in their lives as far as CPU's goes, and I still expect the last of the models to pass the $400 mark. 

Cat

Proud Dell owner since 2003, beginning with the Dell Latitude C640.
System Specs, as provided by Speccy (05/22/2018) Delidded i7-4790K!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2C1bee3t40vxgFn8Fo8Uj35

XPS 8700 specs (current), added 92mm front intake in well concealed stock area, no case mod needed, only two screws & PWM splitter (exhaust tied to CPU fan speed), intake uses stock exhaust header & fan. All fans controlled by SpeedFan, otherwise would be locked at just over 800 rpm, now all runs over 2000 rpm.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi
0 Kudos
beemir
1 Copper

Hi guys, I just wanted to know if the i7-4790k is STILL the best choice for CPU upgrade. I currently have the i7-4770 that shipped with the system. I'm good on the PSU and GPU upgrades but wanted more CPU umpfh. In fact, I would like the best possible CPU that works with the Dell XPS 8700 motherboard and BIOS (currently at A11).

I know the PassMark score is lower for the i7-6700k so it does not seem worth it but when looking at other CPU's on the chart there seem to some others with higher scores than the i7-4790k. I'm curious to know why many have not chosen to go higher, and after researching the forums here I am unable to determine any specific reasons. Perhaps because the XPS 8900 is out now and nobody is upgrading 8700's anymore? I wonder if there are any other limitations. Or is it a price vs performance thing and the i7-4790k strikes the best balance currently? The posts I went through are quite old. Nothing recent from 2016.

Would appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

You cant mix and match and put any ole I7 in.

Different sockets, chipsets , power etc.

Haswell core i7 4790k  PCG 2013D

Sockets Supported FCLGA1150  85W

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

Skylake  core i7 6700k PCG 2015D

Sockets Supported FCLGA1151 (130W)
http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Perhaps because the XPS 8900 is out now and nobody is upgrading 8700's anymore?

I don't think very many were upgrading CPUs on 8700s before skylake came out..

I know of two, maybe three on the forums that have put in a 4790K

Price of a 4790K is about $325 + / - and then sell the 4770 for about 150 +/- after selling costs on eBay so the net cost is a$150 to $200

The benchmarks are minor and when real-world applications come along for most users the speed between a 4770 and a stock 4790 and a stock 4790K is barely noticeable.

Also, dropping in a 4790K into an 8700 won't unleash the potential of the 4790K because the 8700 motherboard is not designed for overclocking. Also the memory speeds are hurt because XMP voltages cannot be set.

My guess is if those that were serious about wanting more CPU speed just built a system around a faster CPU. For some software applications, an overclocked 4790K will be noticeably faster, but for many things it will be no different, not not discernibly different than a 4770.

I own a non dell 4790K overclocked to 4.7Ghz with memory overclocked to 2400Mhz.  I only notice the speed difference when encoding, rendering video or compressing very large datasets. the GPU I have is the same as in my kid's xps 8700 ( a GTX 970 ) and there is zero difference gaming that I can notice.

The xps 8700s are running DDR3 1600 CL 11 where my overclocked 4790K is DDR3 2400 CL10. 

All have SATA 3 SSDs and 16GB or memory.

I'll be honest, I built my 4790K/Z97 system expecting more performance difference than I ended up with, so pushing aside all the synthetic benchmarks, what is it your desktop is not doing fast enough? and before upgrading the CPU, I'd think about getting more/better/faster graphics and more/better/faster storage.

Good luck,.

0 Kudos

Dan-H, I now have one of those EVGA 'G2' 650W series in one PC, have ordered another, arriving tomorrow (08/12/16) for a custom build that the i7-4790K (& until I can grab a GeForce 1070). the GTX 960 in my XPS 8700, those PSU are not only great, they're whisper quiet. Will reinstall the carefully packaged i7-4770 back into the XPS 8700 as soon as the new system is complete. It's kind of tempting to save the i7-4770 & stick a Pentium Anniversary Edition (unlocked) or i3 & clock to the most stable frequency possible, back off one notch for safety, advertise & unload on a sucker looking for a 'not too old'  PC possible, on an 'as is' basis. I'll transfer the last year remaining of SquareTrade warranty to sweeten the deal.;-)

That'll give me two i7's to later 'delid' & fix what Intel messed up for a grand saving of no more than $10 per CPU, using liquid metal, have an enthusiast friend who specializes in this. He'll do it for me in exchange for work that I can do, though normally charges $150 for the service (including removal & reinstall in desktop PC's). Notebooks costs more, and most balks at the price, often $300 or more, but time is money, he can't keep a business up for free. 

May purchase the EVGA 'G2' 550W for the XPS 8700 (if I decide to keep it), it'll soon become my 2nd best PC overall, am building this time to eliminate bottlenecks that OEM's imposes. Example, there's only one 4 pin ATX power connector to the MB, isn't a twin set of these best for CPU power, like most all aftermarket MB's has? I mean, the GPU has it's own twin 6 pin connectors, though am using only one with the GTX 960, seems like the CPU & RAM would perform better with more power fed to it.

Even during using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, stress testing would not get the CPU to jump above 4.2GHz, and I tried all OC choices in the UEFI, seems that 'OC1' gives the better scores (940) over Default & 'OC2' (926 & 932), am tied with several other members at 940.

My custom build will also feature the 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (M.2), attached to an adapter for the extra speed that the MB's M.2 connector can't provide. Sure 10Gbps is better than 6Gbps or SATA-3, but when on a PCIe x4 port, that speed goes up much further, in essence 4x faster in reads & 3 to 3.5x faster write speeds, with the 512GB model. Don't know what I'll do with the SATA Express, but will figure something out.;-)

The build will be sweet when complete, especially later in the year when I can grab a GeForce 1070, the 1080 isn't worth the extra cash for me, and at $249-279, the 1060 is 'budget', even with 5GB GDDR5 VRAM, also limited by a 192 bit bus. I knew when nVidia stated a 1060 was coming that would be 'affordable', there would be a catch somewhere. They're not going to cut the sales of 1080/1070 models that enthusiasts craves by providing 'high powered' GPU's that are priced at the same as some of the GTX 960 versions at introduction early last year. Something's going to be watered down, I'll spend the $200 more & get performance that slaps current GTX 970's around like mad, and hangs with many GTX 980 versions. 

Thanks for the heads up tip in regards to the EVGA PSU, it was your post that made the decision for me. Inferior PSU's can take a lot more than the PSU with it, and has been the cause of fires. There are other & safer ways to save at best, $15-30. Plus with the $15 rebate on both purchases, this really brings the cost down, with one caveat. The 2nd EVGA 'G2' 650W was $22 more at newegg than just 3-4 months back when the first was purchased. Still, I prefer peace of mind, plus the 7 year warranty that EVGA offers. 

Since it's been your posts that's inspired me to 'build my own' (after all, all of us enthusiasts needs to do this once in a lifetime), I posted mainly to thank you for the advice given, even if it were to others.;-)

All the Best,

Cat

XPS 8700 specs (current), added 92mm front intake in well concealed stock area, no case mod needed, only two screws & PWM splitter (exhaust tied to CPU fan speed), intake uses stock exhaust header & fan. All fans controlled by SpeedFan, otherwise would be locked at just over 800 rpm, now all runs over 2000 rpm.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Since it's been your posts that's inspired me to 'build my own' (after all, all of us enthusiasts needs to do this once in a lifetime), I posted mainly to thank you for the advice given, even if it were to others.;-)

My apologies for this inspiration as it will soon eat away at your life savings Smiley Happy

I suggest following some of the enthusiasts forums like overclock DOT net and read what the big kids are doing. You may end up selling all of your haswell / devils canyon parts and jump on the Socket 2011-3 bandwagon.

good luck:

ps: here is my Z97 / 4790K / GTX 970 build https://pcpartpicker.com/user/danhoo/builds/#view=XvgLrH

0 Kudos

Here's my Z97/4790K/GTX 960 (soon will be EVGA 1070 FTW Series).

speccy.piriform.com/.../mHLIjU72N0INjALYoBwzUHD

Since the i7-4790K was already purchased, that was out of the way. I save $50-75 per month for the sole purpose of PC upgrades & building, actually have began another project, centered around the ASRock Extreme6 Z97, and will be using the i7-4770 & 32GB RAM that's in my XPS 8700. Will then place four 2GB sticks that's already owned & an unlocked Pentium Anniversary Edition for less than $70 in there & call it a 'Special Edition' PC for $300. Because the CPU alone is worth more than the rest of the PC, no way am I giving away 'as is' for $350-375 (eBay pricing for used 2013 XPS 8700).

BTW, that PC is progressing also, the Fractal Design Define R5 is a masterpiece of a case to build on, both for 1st time builders & pros alike, both PC's has one, as well as EVGA Supernova 650 G2 (Gold) PSU's. The first was $84.99, then pricing jumped to $99.99 on the 2nd. Still have another 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Gen3 x4 SSD to get, yet that & the 1070 for the first one is coming soon. Will settle on the GTX 1060 on the 2nd, can't afford to drop $459.99 for two GPU's.

While some has told me to go with two 1060's, it's not going to cut it when I get a 4K monitor, when pricing drops in another year or so & offered in 24" versions.

Thanks for getting me in the right direction.;-)

Cat

0 Kudos

I wanted to add that I tried adding the i7-4790K  to an XPS 8700 and it failed until I came to this thread and was suspicious that the BIOS may not have been upgraded. I found the BIOS was at A01 (original) and upgraded to A11. As some have surmised here, the BIOS upgraded DOES allow upgrading to the higher end CPUs and they were right. The new CPU worked perfectly after the BIOS upgrade. Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

I wanted to add that I tried adding the i7-4790K  to an XPS 8700 and it failed until I came to this thread and was suspicious that the BIOS may not have been upgraded. I found the BIOS was at A01 (original) and upgraded to A11. As some have surmised here, the BIOS upgraded DOES allow upgrading to the higher end CPUs and they were right. The new CPU worked perfectly after the BIOS upgrade. Thanks for your assistance.

I am curious what you upgraded from and if you notice a significant difference?

Also, if you find the stock cooler noisy and not cooling well enough, checkout this thread for a great option that works with the proprietary Dell Mounting system.

en.community.dell.com/.../19993539

0 Kudos