rfekte
1 Nickel

Audigy 2ZS Driver

I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP Media Center and all updates recommended by the Windows Update Center.  Now my SB Audigy 2ZS card won't play any sounds thru my speakers.  I've also installed all the updates recommended by Dell for my Dimension 8400.  Where can I find the latest driver for my sound card.  I've tried my Win XP disk and the Creative website.  None of the drivers seem to work.  Device Manager indicates everything is ok.

One thing I did notice is Device Manager identifies the card as Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM).  Sounds and Audio Devices identifies the card as Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (DCC0).  What's the difference between (WDM) and (DCC0)?  Is that a problem?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Audigy 2ZS Driver

You should have received a separate disc with the Audigy 2ZS drivers on them.  WDM is just a device type, the DCC0 may refer to the special Dell OEM version of the card.    Dell, for whatever dumb reason, only has an "update" for this card on the downloads, not the basic driver however there have been reports that the Retail Creative Audigy 2ZS drivers will work. 

Did you install the Intel (motherboard) chipset drivers?  That is often overlooked when users install and the chipset drivers MUST be installed before installing the sound drivers.  The chipset drivers define (identify) the devices on or attached to the motherboard.  If the chipset drivers were not installed, install those and then try the Creative drivers again. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
rfekte
1 Nickel

Thanks Fireberd for your help and suggestions.  I finally got the SB card working although I tried so many things, in the end I don't know what exactly solved the problem.  At one point, Windows was looking for a .sys file that I was able to find by searching the SB driver disk.  Once I found the path and directed Windows to it, everything seemed to install correctly.  Boy, was that a pain in the neck!

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Thanks for the feedback and that it's finally working. 

The bottom line is that is fixed, however it happened.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos