Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2012 00:00

Audio Issue need help

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8000. Recently my graphic card fan started to wear out leading me to getting a new one since my warranty had expired. Everything is fine on the computer except now my front mic and headphone jack are no longer working. I am using Windows 7 (64 bit). The front microphone port is detected under recording devices but displays as "not plugged in". the front headphone port is not detected at all. 

I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not, but my new video card has an HDMI output which also carries audio. The audio for the HDMI cable is detected. 

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2012 04:00

You can only have one default audio playback device - the "Speakers" (PC sound) or HDMI.  On many systems if there is a cable plugged into the HDMI port it automatically switches to the HDMI as the default audio playback device.  If this happens, you will have to manually change the default playback device back to the "Speakers" to get regular PC audio.  

The location for this is the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound panel.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2012 08:00

You are correct. when I have an active HDMI it automatically changed the audio to go through the cable. however I did switch the default device back to "Speakers" but before I installed the graphic card when I plugged my headphone into the front panel it automatically changed the audio to my headphones. Now it make a "bling" sound as if a new hardware was detected, but nothing happens. and in my list of audio devices the front panel is not an option. 

No Events found!