Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 08:00

Audio problems with Studio XPS 8100

I just received a new Studio 8100 and have major problems with crackling in the audio.  It's bad enough to render it basically unlistenable.  I have the problem both with my speakers and with headphones.

I've seen that others have had this problem with other Dell desktops and laptops, but haven't found anything about the 8100 or similar.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Anyone else solved it?

36 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

you could use the dell diagnostic by restarting the computer and pressing F12 when u see the dell logo then go to custom and test the sound card to see if its a hardware issue

March 16th, 2010 10:00

An interesting aspect of this problem is that the crackling happens only if something is playing.  So if sound and speakers are on, but I'm not playing music or video, there is no crackling.  If I start playing something, the crackling starts after about 30sec to a minute of playing.  Dunno if that narrows things down.

March 29th, 2010 05:00

An update in case anyone else has a similar problem.  Dell replaced the audio chip, which had no effect on the problem.  They then advised that I reinstall the operating system (Windows 7) and drivers.  This has eliminated the problem.

5 Posts

April 21st, 2010 00:00

The solution to this for me was to download the OEM drivers for our card from Realtek (more up to date than Dells' as well).  To do this, visit:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Or if the link is not working, go to: HOME > Downloads > Computer Peripheral ICs > PC Audio Codecs > High Definition Audio Codecs > Software

I am running Windows 7 64bit for reference and this solved all audio problems.

Good luck!

-Adam

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 21st, 2010 07:00

The Vendor's audio drivers (e.g. Realtek or IDT) are a hit and miss.  On older systems the vendor drivers do not work and the Dell must be used.  On SOME newer systems the vendor's drivers will work and on other they will not.

April 22nd, 2010 07:00

The Vendor's audio drivers (e.g. Realtek or IDT) are a hit and miss.  On older systems the vendor drivers do not work and the Dell must be used.  On SOME newer systems the vendor's drivers will work and on other they will not.

Yeah, installing the Realtek drivers didn't work for me.  Uninstalling Roxio fixed the problem for about a week, but now it's back with a vengeance.  I'm going to reinstall the operating system and see if that does anything.  And this is the other thread with this issue: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19330063.aspx?PageIndex=2

April 26th, 2010 07:00

Took 2 hours and did a complete reinstall, crackling came back after a few days of uptime.  Will be calling dell again.  This is one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a computer. 

May 20th, 2010 21:00

I want to give everyone an update.  I finally had the motherboard replaced by dell.  It's been over 2 weeks and the audio issue has not resurfaced.  So the problem appears to be hardware-related, at least in my case.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 21st, 2010 04:00

Thansk for the update.  I'll keep the hardware problem in mind.

No Events found!