Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 21:00

Available pci slots on Dell Studio 540

I have a Dell Studio 540. There are suppose to be 4 slots on this machine. When I look at the back, it appears that two of the slots have something in them. My video cable plugs into the top slot. The next two appear to be blank and then there must be a modem or something plugged into the last one. There are jacks on it that look like phone jacks.

I want to get a soundblaster sound card. I think I need to get a pci-e device.

Can somebody please confirm that this is what I need? And also am I right about two of the slots are being used as the pc was delivered. Note: I have not changed anything on this pc, so what ever is in any of the slots came that way.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

kev914 

There are 1 x PCI Express x16, 2 x PCI Express x1 an 1 x PCI slots in the Studio 540.

You would need to buy either a PCI Express x1, or PCI sound card.

For more information on the Studio 540, go HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

The Studio 540 has one PCIe-16x slot, one PCI slot, and two PCIe-1x slots.

It sounds as if your 540 has a discrete video card in the PCIe-16x slot and a modem in the PCI slot. In that case, if you wish to install a sound card, you will need one using a PCIe-1x interface, unless you're willing to remove the modem.

11 Posts

September 30th, 2009 17:00

Thanks. I bought a pci e soundcard and it's installed. I was right about the other two slots. There was a video card in the one slot and a modem in the other. I have one free slot. This is the first piece of hardware I've added so my pc came with two of the slots used.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 30th, 2009 18:00

kev914 

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!