Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2008 19:00

BIOS PROBLEM (Dimension 5150)

My Kid accidently clicked on a BIOS Update for my computer and now it won't start up.   Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to fix the BIOS when I can't even get the screen up?

Dan

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 21st, 2008 20:00

dantelephone

Were the BIOS flashed?

Try resetting the NVRAM [CMOS], see HERE.

Bev.

December 27th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Bev. for your reply, however resetting the BIOS to default or the NVRAM is a little more difficult in this computer.   There are only (2) jumpers on the entire board.   One is listed as PSWD (I assume to clear the password if you forget it) and the other is RTCRST (not sure, but I expect this is to clear the NVRAM).   Usually removing the battery for awhile will clear it and default it, but not in my case.   I tried to reverse the jumper and even take it out, but no go.   My CPU won't even let me have screen access or default access.   Any suggestions other than calling DELL?   Appreciate your help.

Dan

799 Posts

December 28th, 2008 09:00

There are only (2) jumpers on the entire board.   One is listed as PSWD (I assume to clear the password if you forget it) and the other is RTCRST (not sure, but I expect this is to clear the NVRAM).   Usually removing the battery for awhile will clear it and default it, but not in my case.   I tried to reverse the jumper and even take it out, but no go.   My CPU won't even let me have screen access or default access.

Hello dantelephone, Here is a LINK<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  to the Dell site that gives the same information that shesagordie suggested.

If this fails, I would try removing the jumper completely, and reboot the system with no jumper installed.

The system should not even try to boot with the jumper removed.

After 15-20 seconds, unplug the power cable, reinsert the jumper pin in the normal pin location, plug the power cable in and reboot the system.

This may or may not work. I have been able to get this trick to work when nothing else would.

Just a thought.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2008 12:00

dantelephone

If the solutions posted, fail the fix the problem, then you would need to replace the motherboard.   :emotion-6:

Bev.

No Events found!