Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 3rd, 2018 14:00

BIOS Update 2.2.1 on XPS 8900

(I accidentally posted this same thing in the 'Laptop' discussion section. I hope a moderator can remove the previous post)

I installed the latest BIOS update today (2.2.1) and noticed that when installing Windows 7 my screen flashes oddly right before the Starting Windows logo comes swirling in. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with this update. It doesn't happen with Windows 10.

For what it's worth, I occasionally tinker with Windows 7, although I use 10 most of the time. I have 10 backed up with Macrium Reflect (which I re-install from a Macrium Windows PE disk in a matter of minutes), and I use this image of 7 on a usb stick. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 17:00

At least yours still boots after updating to BIOS 2.2.1. A number of other users have boot failures after this update.

en.community.dell.com/.../20027027

I'll pass the info along to my Dell tech contact...

January 3rd, 2018 18:00

Yes, I've yet to experience any problems at all with the update while running Win 10 Pro x64. Only the issue described when running Win 7. A bit of screen-flashing at bootup, right before "Starting Windows" logo-spin.

Yes, I have read a couple of the posts by others, too, people who have had their systems messed up by the update.

Thanks for the Reply! I appreciate you pinging your Dell Tech contact.

Maybe another BIOS update will be forthcoming that'll address the issues...

January 4th, 2018 12:00

I figured as much (the issue being considered minor by Dell tech standards), that's why I posted here, just trying to fish a bit and see if others have a solution.

As for the graphics driver, I don't use the card that came in my XPS. I use an EVGA 1050 Ti. And yes, I always install the latest driver for it.

Again, thanks RoHe.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2018 12:00

Can't guarantee the next BIOS update will fix your screen "flashing" problem with Win 7, though I did pass it along.  

It's considered to be "minor" and Win 7 works ok once you get to the desktop, so it may not get fixed, unless it's fixed by whatever they do to stop causing the serious "no-boot" problem.

You might try looking to see if there's a new Intel Graphics driver for Win 7 on the Intel site, on the off-chance that fixes it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2018 16:00

Yes, but you also have onboard Intel HD Graphics on the CPU. And even if you use an add-in video card like your 1060Ti, you still need the latest Intel HD Graphics driver.

You can go to Intel's download page and let it scan your hardware for updated drivers, including Graphics and Chipset(s), etc.

January 4th, 2018 17:00

"Yes, but you also have onboard Intel HD Graphics on the CPU. And even if you use an add-in video card like your 1060Ti, you still need the latest Intel HD Graphics driver."

No problem with that. I always have the latest drivers.

No Events found!