Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 29th, 2013 15:00

BIOS takes Longer after BIOS Update to A06

Hello Dell Community,

i updated the BIOS on my XPS8700 from A04 to the Version A06 a few Days ago.

After the BIOS-Update i saw that the BIOS-Time takes around 14 seconds before the DELL-Logo is displayed and Windows starts.

Before the Update it takes just 4 - 5 seconds until the DELL-Logo was displayed and the mainboard has made a short "beep".

Now after that Update there is no beep anymore. I used the Diagnostics tool in Boot-Options and it says that all Hardwarecomponents were ok.

I removed the battery for 5mins to make a bios reset but it hasnt fixed my problems.

Is there a possibility to downgrade the BIOS back to A04 or any other option?

Can someone help me?

Best regards

shadow245

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 29th, 2013 17:00

A number of users have reported this very same problem on XPS 8700.

Uninstall Bluetooth in Device Manager and reboot.  Should boot promptly this time.

Now reinstall the Bluetooth driver, and reboot again. Problem should be fixed...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2013 17:00

Hi Shadow245,

Are you using UEFI or legacy?

8 Posts

December 30th, 2013 05:00

Thanks for your post! I uninstalled the Bluetooth drivers: Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth, Microsoft Bluetooth LE-Enumerator and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator but it hasnt changed my bios time after reboot. Now I have another problem... I cant Install the Bluetooth drivers again because it says "The specified service has been marked for deletion".

How can i reinstall the drivers?

I guess i made something wrong. Are these three drivers above the ones i should have deleted?

But thanks for your informative Post ROHE!

Best regards

Shadow245

8 Posts

December 30th, 2013 05:00

Iam using UEFI Mode with secure Boot enabled.

Thanks for your reply

Shadow245

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2013 09:00

Did you reboot after uninstalling BT?

In Device Manager, all you would have to do is right-click BT and select uninstall.  Is that what you did?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2013 10:00

They were inside the Bluetooth-folder.

I don't understand. Where did you find the BT folder?

You weren't supposed to delete any files. You were supposed to Uninstall BT in Device Manager. Uninstall is not the same as "delete"...

8 Posts

Hello Rohe,

thanks for your reply,

yes, i uninstalled the three devices listed in my post above. They were inside the Bluetooth-folder.

I also rebooted after uninstalling the drivers but the bios time hasn't changed after that in my eyes.

Best regards

Shadow245

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

updated the BIOS on my XPS8700 from A04 to the Version A06 a few Days ago.

After the BIOS-Update i saw that the BIOS-Time takes around 14 seconds before the DELL-Logo is displayed and Windows starts.

Before the Update it takes just 4 - 5 seconds until the DELL-Logo was displayed and the mainboard has made a short "beep".

Now after that Update there is no beep anymore

I have seen the exact same degrading of Bios time, from 4-5 seconds boot with beep to 14 seconds and no beep after installing version 06.  Likewise  this is also an XPS8700.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2013 11:00

Same system, assuming the same problem here even after following the instructions in this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19537836.aspx

8 Posts

December 30th, 2013 16:00

Hello Rohe,

sorry i expressed it a bit wrong. I mean in the device manager there was a device or label with the name "Bluetooth". Then i clicked onto "Bluetooth". After that three Bluetooth things were displayed under "bluetooth".

It looked like this:

Bluetooth:    <---The label in device manager

- Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth   <----uninstalled this one

- Microsoft Bluetooth LE-Enumerator   <-----this one too

- Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator  <----- and this one

I used the right mouse key and clicked unistall on every single thing of these "Bluetooth-things".

I hope i could help you with that information.

Best regards

Shadow245

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2013 10:00

Can you try uninstalling them again in Device Manager?

3 Posts

December 31st, 2013 10:00

I just un-installed them again, this time from the network adapter folder, it shuts down and re-boots much faster.  BIOS time is still 13+ seconds when it used to be 4. Still no startup beep either.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2013 11:00

I keep getting a message from the "My Dell" program. It reads: Your dell is taking longer than necessary to boot. Click the fix it button to reduce your boot time by 2 seconds!

I try to click the button and nothing happens.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2013 11:00

I suspect (with no supporting data) they may have suppressed that normal POST beep in this new version because too many users and tech support people were confusing that beep with the one-beep preboot error code for a failed motherboard.

I've asked my Dell tech contacts to confirm/deny my suspicions about the POST beep, but with the holidays, they may not respond until late next week...

84 Posts

March 17th, 2014 17:00

This uninstalling of BT didn't work for me. I still have the long boot. Other question.

Can I revert back to bios A04 since i'm on A06 or is this technically impossible?

No Events found!