Shadow245
1 Copper

RE: BIOS takes Longer after BIOS Update to A06

Hello Rohe,

sorry i expressed it a bit wrong. I mean in the device manager there was a device or label with the name "Bluetooth". Then i clicked onto "Bluetooth". After that three Bluetooth things were displayed under "bluetooth".

It looked like this:

Bluetooth:    <---The label in device manager

- Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth   <----uninstalled this one

- Microsoft Bluetooth LE-Enumerator   <-----this one too

- Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator  <----- and this one

I used the right mouse key and clicked unistall on every single thing of these "Bluetooth-things".

I hope i could help you with that information.

Best regards

Shadow245

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Can you try uninstalling them again in Device Manager?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
brobro
1 Copper

I just un-installed them again, this time from the network adapter folder, it shuts down and re-boots much faster.  BIOS time is still 13+ seconds when it used to be 4. Still no startup beep either.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I suspect (with no supporting data) they may have suppressed that normal POST beep in this new version because too many users and tech support people were confusing that beep with the one-beep preboot error code for a failed motherboard.

I've asked my Dell tech contacts to confirm/deny my suspicions about the POST beep, but with the holidays, they may not respond until late next week...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
brobro
1 Copper

I keep getting a message from the "My Dell" program. It reads: Your dell is taking longer than necessary to boot. Click the fix it button to reduce your boot time by 2 seconds!

I try to click the button and nothing happens.

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

This uninstalling of BT didn't work for me. I still have the long boot. Other question.

Can I revert back to bios A04 since i'm on A06 or is this technically impossible?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Hi Wowsers53,

Yes, you can revert to an older BIOS.

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

Please tell me the step by step because i'm about to pull my hair.:emotion-6: I have just tried everything I could think off. Unplugging the power and removing the battery. Pushing the power button for 1 minute and holding it in the pushed position. Switch the jumper position and then reverting back to the original position. I just restarted my XPS8700 a moment ago and it is still at bios version A06. I want to switch back to A03 or A04 just like when I bought it last July. With the A06 bios it take almost 50 seconds to boot but with the older bios it took about 25 to 27 seconds. That is twice as long.

Everywhere I have looked they say to remove battery for 5 minutes. Some say to switch the jumper. I have tried them all to no avail. My only hope is you. Tell me step by step how to do it. I have bios A03 and A04 saved to a usb key. Thanks for the quick previous response.

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

Sorry if this sound rude but you basically told me I could revert to an older bios but when I asked you the step by step process it seems like you don't want to respond to that. Is it because you think I can't do it?:emotion-7:

0 Kudos
Shadow245
1 Copper

Hello WOWSERS53,

finally a few weeks ago i successfully was able to downgrade my BIOS from A06 back to A04 which was the version i bought my XPS8700. After reading diffent posts about this problem i thought it might have been something to do with my bluetooth and w-lan-driver aswell as many other users wrote. But actually it didnt work for me. The only way i had, was a BIOS rollback. Normally the BIOS-program dont want you to downgrade your system to an older version, but ive found a little trick in another thread, that worked for me.

1) Download the BIOS A04 from the Dell Homepage. Use your service tag to find your system and go to "drivers and downloads" for your PC. Then it will display under "BIOS" the Version A06. Go to "older/previous versions" and download the XPS8700 A04.exe to your desktop.

2) Open up cmd as an administrator (its important to do it under administrator!)

3) Then type in:    C:\Users\Yourname\Desktop>XPS8700 A04.exe /forceit

4) Make sure that you have NOTHING other opened at that moment. Only cmd must be open!

5) After you are sure everything is typed in correctly click "enter" on your keyboard. Now the BIOS.exe should automatically downgrade your BIOS to Version A04.

Do this at your own risk! It may damage your board! But in my case i got back my normal boot time and the beep at the beginning came back.

I hope i could help you with that information. That was the way i did it.

Shadow245

0 Kudos