Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 29th, 2013 15:00

BIOS takes Longer after BIOS Update to A06

Hello Dell Community,

i updated the BIOS on my XPS8700 from A04 to the Version A06 a few Days ago.

After the BIOS-Update i saw that the BIOS-Time takes around 14 seconds before the DELL-Logo is displayed and Windows starts.

Before the Update it takes just 4 - 5 seconds until the DELL-Logo was displayed and the mainboard has made a short "beep".

Now after that Update there is no beep anymore. I used the Diagnostics tool in Boot-Options and it says that all Hardwarecomponents were ok.

I removed the battery for 5mins to make a bios reset but it hasnt fixed my problems.

Is there a possibility to downgrade the BIOS back to A04 or any other option?

Can someone help me?

Best regards

shadow245

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 17th, 2014 17:00

Hi Wowsers53,

Yes, you can revert to an older BIOS.

84 Posts

March 17th, 2014 18:00

Please tell me the step by step because i'm about to pull my hair.:emotion-6: I have just tried everything I could think off. Unplugging the power and removing the battery. Pushing the power button for 1 minute and holding it in the pushed position. Switch the jumper position and then reverting back to the original position. I just restarted my XPS8700 a moment ago and it is still at bios version A06. I want to switch back to A03 or A04 just like when I bought it last July. With the A06 bios it take almost 50 seconds to boot but with the older bios it took about 25 to 27 seconds. That is twice as long.

Everywhere I have looked they say to remove battery for 5 minutes. Some say to switch the jumper. I have tried them all to no avail. My only hope is you. Tell me step by step how to do it. I have bios A03 and A04 saved to a usb key. Thanks for the quick previous response.

84 Posts

March 18th, 2014 15:00

Sorry if this sound rude but you basically told me I could revert to an older bios but when I asked you the step by step process it seems like you don't want to respond to that. Is it because you think I can't do it?:emotion-7:

8 Posts

March 19th, 2014 08:00

Hello WOWSERS53,

finally a few weeks ago i successfully was able to downgrade my BIOS from A06 back to A04 which was the version i bought my XPS8700. After reading diffent posts about this problem i thought it might have been something to do with my bluetooth and w-lan-driver aswell as many other users wrote. But actually it didnt work for me. The only way i had, was a BIOS rollback. Normally the BIOS-program dont want you to downgrade your system to an older version, but ive found a little trick in another thread, that worked for me.

1) Download the BIOS A04 from the Dell Homepage. Use your service tag to find your system and go to "drivers and downloads" for your PC. Then it will display under "BIOS" the Version A06. Go to "older/previous versions" and download the XPS8700 A04.exe to your desktop.

2) Open up cmd as an administrator (its important to do it under administrator!)

3) Then type in:    C:\Users\Yourname\Desktop>XPS8700 A04.exe /forceit

4) Make sure that you have NOTHING other opened at that moment. Only cmd must be open!

5) After you are sure everything is typed in correctly click "enter" on your keyboard. Now the BIOS.exe should automatically downgrade your BIOS to Version A04.

Do this at your own risk! It may damage your board! But in my case i got back my normal boot time and the beep at the beginning came back.

I hope i could help you with that information. That was the way i did it.

Shadow245

84 Posts

March 19th, 2014 09:00

Hello Shadow245, 

I just tried the method you specified and it gives me an error "is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file. I did type the command exactly like you said. Would you mind checking if there isn't a typo in your post? Thanks in advance. I would really like to return to version A04 also. Another question....what month did you buy your XPS8700?

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 03:00

Hello Shadow245,

i guess you or i had made a little mistake. Maybe there was missing a space gap between a command. But actually this command ive posted worked for me. Type in google: "Dell BIOS forceit" and you will find a lot according to this. Also the right command :).

I would like to know if your problem got solved now or if you need help anyway.

To your question: ive bought my XPS8700 in July 2013 with BIOS A04 on it.

Have a nice day

Shadow245

84 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 05:00

Hi Shadow 245,

Yes I got it to work but with the help of "mfreed'. Probably the same person that you saw the post about the command prompt in the first place? He told me I had to put " " at the beginning and end of the prompt for this to work and as soon as I tried that it work instantly. I couldn't remember which bios version I had when I bought my XPS8700SE in July (A04 or A03) so I went with A03 and all is great now.

This is the exact way I wrote it down. "XPS 8700 A03.EXE" /FORCEIT

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

87 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 18:00

I'm sorry to bump this topic, but I have been searching endlessly on the web for a solution to this. 

I updated from A03 to A10, and now when I hit the power button, my computer turns on but it takes about 5 to 10 seconds till it interacts with the monitor and I see the Dell logo.

This happened immediately after I updated my BIOS. Is there no solution besides to downgrade our BIOS? 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

I'm sorry to bump this topic, but I have been searching endlessly on the web for a solution to this. 

I updated from A03 to A10, and now when I hit the power button, my computer turns on but it takes about 5 to 10 seconds till it interacts with the monitor and I see the Dell logo.

This happened immediately after I updated my BIOS. Is there no solution besides to downgrade our BIOS? 

Don't suppose you copied down all the settings in A03 before flashing A10.

Is it possible some default setting in A10 is different from how A03 was set and that's causing the delay?

No Events found!