Highlighted
Nipx
Bronze

BIOS to older version, Dell Inspiron 530

/forcebios is the key command in DOS! If you have been struggling to restore your BIOS to an earlier version you will immediately realize how important this little command is.

You will need to use it after the .exe, after the c: prompt in DOS to revert to an older BIOS. It will look something like this when you enter it (the 530_1016.exe is the name of the 1.0.16 BIOS I found through Google):

C:\>530_1016.exe/forcebios

And this allows you to return to the older BIOS after you have created a Boot USB, placed the BIOS .exe on the USB, inserted the USB and booted using F12.

I love old Dell desktop PCs! Especially the Vostro 200, but an Inspiron 530 recently gave me a real headache.

The most recent BIOS for the Inspiron 530 (BIOS 1.0.18) has all sorts of bugs.. not least that it will forget BIOS/CMOS settings (giving CMOS checksum error) and will need to have the time and date and boot order reset if someone switches off the mains.

The only fix for me, having renewed the CMOS battery and  wiped the CMOS using the jumper (to no avail) was to restore an earlier BIOS (I chose 1.0.16).

Having created the Boot USB (following links on Google) and having put the old BIOS 1.0.16 on the USB and pressed F12 at startup I ran the old BIOS. But the DOS message I got was:

New bios version is low! ALL files removed!

This meant that I was trying to load an older BIOS and it wasn't going to allow me to do that.

After spending hours scanning the web I found an old, long closed, thread on this site with the magic command /forcebios

So I thought I'd post this information to help others. All you have to do to revert to an older bios is to download the older bios, put it on a bootable usb and at the command prompt type:

NAMEOFOLDERBIOS.exe/forcebios

Tags (1)
0 Kudos