Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 6th, 2014 07:00

BSOD 116 and 124 - video card problem?

I have a Dell XPS 9100.

I started experiencing the BSOD four days ago (June 1 2014) . The first one appeared after coming out of sleep mode.

Details of BSOD:

Cause: C:\Windows\system32\driver\atikmpag.sys appears to have caused a system crash

Bug Check code 0x00000116

Driver: C:\Windows\system32\driver\atikmpag.sys

Driver Version 8.14.1.6210

Device: Unknown

After a reboot I got another BSOD after logging into windows

Cause: Your computer has rebooted from an unexpected shutdown

Bug Check Code 0x00000124

Driver C:\Windows\system32\drivers\genuineintel

Device Unknown

After this reboot the computer worked fine. The next day after a cold-start (off 5+ hours) I got the same BSOD problem after logging into windows (the Bug Check code 124) - it doesn't matter what I am doing the computer shuts down after 5-10 minutes, but after a restart the computer worked perfectly fine until the next cold-start. So, basically every time I do a cold-start I get a BSOD 124 and sometimes after coming out of sleep I get the BSOD 116. The interesting thing about the BSOD 124 is that usually Windows will tell me that PCI Express failed to work correctly - this turns out to be the interface for my AMD RADEON HD 6670 video card and the driver for this video card is the C:\windown\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys - which makes me think both errors are related to this card.

I have run all of the PC checkup tools - memory check, a really long test checking for hard disk errors, etc everything seems to pass.

On Dell's website their is a recommend driver download for the AMD RADEON HD 6670 (M208) Graphics Device - what does the M208 mean - should I try this?

My quick solution so far has been to keep the computer on all the time (no sleep mode) - so far so good (it has only been 24 hours).

Any suggestions for what I should do next? Should I try and open up the computer and dust it? I am no computer expert and get lost in all the language... I have seen some stuff about BIOS - what is this? How do I know if it is a driver or if I need to replace the video card? Could it be a temperature thing? For example, if I were to completely shutdown my computer and turn it on again (say 1 min later) it would be fine...

Thank You!

6 Posts

June 6th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

I recently went thru problems with my desktop and finally concluded it was a video card failure.

You might try the following, if you haven't already:

Check the computer temperatures and see if it is overheating.  (My GPU was running at 78 deg C).  I used  SpeedFan and CPuid HW Monitor -- both free programs.  I blew out the case and it didn't help.  I ran the computer with a room fan blowing into the case and, although it lowered the GPU temp by 10 degrees, the computer still shut down.

I also rebooted in Safe Mode.  In Safe Mode,  the computer ran without shutting down, although the graphics was not great since it was running on native graphics.  This made me think it was my video card.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a direct indication that my video card was failing and most suggested that if I had another video card, to try that.  I didn't, but I was pleased to find out that my local computer store, Micro Center, sold the cards with a 30 day return policy.  I purchased a new card and it solved my problem.

Good luck!

1 Message

September 21st, 2014 14:00

I have been having the exact same problem.  Usually it will crash just once but sometimes 2 or 3 times.  It only ever happens within a couple minutes of coming out of sleep or booting up.

I purchased a new graphics card and I was still getting BSOD for a week or so but none have occurred the past week.  I hate to waste money on this graphics card if it's not the solution but I have no idea where to go next.

Did you end up finding a solution?

2 Posts

November 15th, 2014 21:00

This is my case, I just had it since a week ago..

Recently I encounter BSOD error 116 , windows will crash and have atikmpag.sys error. while I was watching a movie on my inspiron 580s, despite uninstalled and reinstall the drivers, and even tried system restore.. the problem persisted. I did manage to enter windows 7 using safe mode, but after backing up my data and continue troubleshooting for a week, I decided to just restore it to factory settings. The Problem gets worse now as I am unable to complete the restoration and it still have Bsod 116 at reboot, preventing me from complete the restoration. Is it my video card problem or something else? I noticed my monitor screen has vertical Pixelated lines after the first crash.. 

Have you fixed your problem? 

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 07:00

Sounds exactly like the issue I am having with my XPS 9100, also equipped with a Dell OEM Radeon 6770 graphics card. I am confused, too, about the driver posted on the Dell Support site for this system - should I use the one that is there even though it is specified for a Radeon 6670 (M208) (not the exact product installed on my system)?

Should I retrieve a driver for the 6770 from the vendor (AMD), even though this is an OEM card?

My issue also started in June 2014 and has been reoccurring -- lately with greater frequency. Has anyone with this issue made a successful reinstallation of the driver? Or is purchase of a replacement card the recommended action?

No Events found!