Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2017 01:00

BTX motherboard beyond G41 & LGA775 arch.

Hello! Happy new year & Thank You. 1st timer!  Re: Dell380 small desktop w/ a 325mm x 267mm board. I would like to install a BTX 6.0Gb/s board in my 380. I believe they exist in at least a micro size of 10.4" x 10.5" and come w/ G67 & i3 or newer. Opti 980 w/ Q57 & i3? Opti 390 (mid2011) w/ H61? Opti 790 (early 2011) w/ Q65 & i3? Can anyone verify this, please?  No "gamer" here, just mail, browsing & shopping for this senior. I am prepared to do some inpatient surgery, however hoping to retain as much of existing hardware as possible.  Is there a board like I want out there? Otherwise, I see few options: (1) SanDisk ReadyCache (2) Apricorn Vel Solo II (3) adding an SSD, maybe 60g. Unfortunately, all those options still leave me with 3.0Gb/s. I am trying to prevent a Comcast speed upgrade in order to save $250.00 to $300.00 yr. My data usage is approx. 1/4 of the  nat'l average of home PC users. I hope to hear from you. Thanks!  

g) 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 14:00

You're confusing network speed with SATA speed. You don't need to upgrade the mainboard at all - the system has a  gigabit Ethernet connection on board that's far fast enough for any cable modem speed.

Upgrading the board on these is just about impossible anyway short of building a new system (new board, case and power supply) -- along with a retail copy of Windows, since the original won't activate on a non-Dell mainboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 4th, 2017 09:00

The system isn't the issue - even a 75 MBps pipe is far below what the wired Ethernet port can sustain.   What happened is that your Internet connection speed has been cut by a factor of 8-10 vs. what you had -- nothing you do to the system can make up for that loss.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

Advertised network speeds rarely match reality and ISPs know it. But those speeds sure sound good in their ads and look even better on their bottom line.

How much RAM do you have in this system? And what version of Windows? You might benefit from more RAM, and maybe it's time to clean out all the junk on the hard drive and -perhaps- reinstall Windows which can get bogged down over time.

Are any other devices connected to your router/modem that are hogging bandwidth?  If you're using WiFi to connect to the router, maybe you need to select a different -less crowded- WiFi channel in your neighborhood.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 1st, 2017 11:00

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 26th, 2017 07:00

Maybe "Comcast seed upgrade" was incorrect terminology. My neighbor's PC is way faster on my connection. I'm not sure how that equates to your statement. It has newer components inside.    

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 13:00

First question to think about is whether any new motherboard will be compatible with the 380 case.

Dell typically uses a customized connection between each motherboard and the front case panel. So unless the new motherboard is "plug-and-play", unlikely unless it's another 380 board, you may not get it to work, if you're not prepared to map the connections in that connector.

I am trying to prevent a Comcast speed upgrade in order to save $250.00 to $300.00 yr.

But I don't understand your premise. How is a new motherboard going to have any impact on a "Comcast speed upgrade"?

7 Posts

January 4th, 2017 02:00

So, my SATA II board can handle Comcast data  delivery up to and including 75 Mb/s? When I cancelled my "performance" Comcast & re-enlisted w/ "starter"  Comcast...whoa! My pc slowed down by a factor of maybe 2 or 3. I assumed a SATA III hardware change would bring me closer to where I used to be. The Comcast advertised 10Mb/s is more like 6Mb/s, and I believe that "6" number is only a (burst?).  Benchmark User testing says my pc is running like a raft.... I take it that means non-motorized! I want to thank all of you that took time to answer & guide me along the way. I am very much obliged. It looks like Comcast data speed delivery is very important. I'm shelving the whole idea, however I do have one more question. Might  I see any improvement in my 'net experience if I went out an bought a new laptop for $200.00 or so? Thanks again, delcom6, Randy.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2017 04:00

Thanks, RoHe. Now that 4 months have passed, I see a bit more clearly. I have 3g RAM  (1x1) & (1x2). Win 7 64 bit, A07 BIOS. 500g HDD w/ about 450g avail.  CPU is E5800.  I am getting used to the Comcast starter speed, although I do miss the "perf" pkg. speed, especially considering I was using a Dimension 2400 w/ XP. with same. It was plenty fast enuff for my surf. & mail. I spent $50.00 on the 380 incl. monitor, keyboard & mouse when after all it was just the provider speed and not the Dell2400. 8g RAM, 120g SSD sound nice, however I still would have SATA II & pci-e  1.0. I'll save the computer dollars for later. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read and write. You are great and I am grateful!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2017 01:00

21Jul,2017. I have since added E8500, doubled ram to 6Gb, It's booting quicker. I'm now considering a KingDian SSD of small cap., maybe 30-50gb. I'm only using 40gb on my 500g HDD. My Comcast is still starter pkg. (6Mb/S) burst,   actually receiving 2-2.5M during normal usage. The unit is performing well for a non gaming, non office/photo desktop. My genuine thanks to all whom have helped. A novice needs advice.  

No Events found!