Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2013 13:00

Backup and Recovery?

I have a fairly new Dell 660s that was shipped with Windows 8.  After a few problems surfaced Dell sent meant me the Windows 8 and OEM software discs.  Dell support guided me through the fresh Windows 8 install. I downloaded "My Dell" and "Backup and Recovery" from the Dell web site. My Dell installed without a problem buy Backup and Recovery will not install. 

Questions- 

1) Do I even need the Backup and recovery program seeing as though there is no recovery partition any longer. Is this why is will not install ?

2)  I made the USB recovery drive before the fresh install- will this still be relative in a recovery without the partition ?

3)  I have made a fresh Windows 8 "repair cd" -  Is there anything else I can do to prepare for a recovery in the future ?

Thank you for your time-

Snafu

2.6K Posts

October 17th, 2013 17:00

Hello Snafu34,

The USB Recovery Drive that you have created, contains the image of the Recovery Partition which would allow to you to restore the computer back to factory settings. The Windows 8 disk that was provided by Dell, can be used to perform a clean re-installation of the operating system when the USB Recovery Drive is not working. 

Hope this helps!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 14th, 2013 17:00

Hi Snafu,

The Dell backup and recovery (DBAR) will not be able to restore the factory image, which of course is no longer there. But you could use it to create your own backup of the Windows 8 fresh installation. But of course there are other options for doing that as well. You don't have to use DBAR.

Did you try the download from this page?

7 Posts

October 14th, 2013 18:00

Ospray-  Thank you for your assistance.  That is the link where I downloaded DBAR.  It does not want to install- error messages.  Is the usb recovery drive I made when the computer was new still usable ?  Is the recovery partition on it ?  Doesn't the free version of DBAR just copy the recovery partition on the usb drive ?

2.6K Posts

October 16th, 2013 16:00

Hello Sanfu34,

The USB Recovery Drive that you have created, does not contain the Recovery Partition. It contains an image of the recovery partition which would allow you to reset the computer to factory settings. The Basic version of Dell Backup and Recovery
comes pre-installed on all systems and allows the user to create the system recovery media and take a backup of the factory installed applications and drivers.

For more details, see Windows 8 Dell Backup and Recovery

7 Posts

October 16th, 2013 20:00

Allan- thanks for the reply-   I am still unsure of

1) after a fresh install of Win 8 is the USB drive created prior to reinstall still usable for a recovery even though the recovery partition is no longer on the computer.

2) or is best just to use the Win 8 disc provided by Dell ?

3) Where would the " windows 8 recovery cd disc"  come into play ?

7 Posts

October 17th, 2013 21:00

Thank you Allen- Can you tell me why Backup and Recovery will not install ?

2.6K Posts

October 18th, 2013 16:00

Hello Snafu34,

The Backup and Recovery is unable to install because the Recovery Partition is unavailable/ deleted. 

No Events found!