Barely Audible External Speakers 

SYSTEM INFORMATION

DELL Desktop Studio XPS 435MT

• Windows 7 x 64 bit Home Premium SP1
  • Microsoft High Definition Audio Controller
  • SRS Audio Essentials
  • DELL AX210 Stereo USB External Speakers
  • Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 w. microphone
  • Logitech Head Set w. microphone (Default Communication Device)
  • USB Audio Device
  • Realtek High Definition Audio (Default Sound Device)
  • AMD High Definition Device 

STEPS TAKEN

All of the above devices were working appropriately prior to failure of the speakers to audible level of sound. I replaced the OEM speakers with the same model of OEM speakers but the new speakers are barely audible. The Logitech devices, Logitech Webcam with built-in microphone and Logitech Head Set w. Microphone perform at acceptable sound levels. I have checked all relevant sound level settings, reconfigured devices, checked that all drivers are up to date, unplugged speakers and restarted computer... etc. etc. etc., ran Trouble Shoot Audio Playback. I also checked Control Panel / Sound / Communications and set “When Windows Detects Communication Activity” to “do nothing”.

OTHER PROBLEMS NOTICED

System Information / Problem Devices lists the following...

• McAfee Inc. mfeapfk ROOT\LEGACY_MFEAPFK\0000   This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
  • Sftfs   ROOT\LEGACY_SFTFS\0000 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

I would appreciate any help available. I have exhausted all my humble resources to solve this problem and at the end of my tether.

--Dennis--

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

RE: Barely Audible Sound From External Speakers

Hi Dennis46,

You can test the sound outside of the operating system using the Dell diagnostics. Please let me know if the sound card test results pass or what you find.

Those two problems may point to a malware issue. I would search for a malware forum where you could post your Hijackthis log.

0 Kudos