Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2009 07:00

Being told to update my VGA driver

I have a Dimension 2400 with a Intel 82845G Graphics controller (I think this means it's the video card?).

Anyways, I'm trying to load some new software by Cyberlink (MediaShow) that came with a digital video camera, and I get a warning message telling me I need to update my VGA driver.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

1.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 10:00

You can go here to update the driver.  Howevever, the latest version goes back 3 years anyway.  What you probably need to do is get a dedicated video card that would work with the software since I do not believe your current graphics meets the requirements. 

If you have to get a card, you can just get something like this since it meets the requirements of 64MB of VRam or above with a 128MB.  You have PCI only slots for a video card so this is what you have to use.

16 Posts

January 9th, 2009 13:00

So I need a new video card, eh? What do you recommend?

1.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 15:00

I recommend the one I linked to, the FX5200.  It has been around for years and is a proven card worth getting for your particular computer. 

16 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 04:00

I ordered and installed the video card.  It works fine.  However, the Cyberlink MediaShow 4.0 program still won't boot.  I am working with their tech support, but do you have any ideas?  Makes me wonder if I wasted my money on a video card, but...I guess we won't know until we figure out what is currently making it act the same as it was with the old card.

4.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 06:00

Makes me wonder if I wasted my money on a video card...

Going from on-board graphics, to a dedicated graphics card, can never be considered a "waste" of money :emotion-55:

16 Posts

January 24th, 2009 16:00

Now I really do need help.  Cyberlink tech support is saying to check with hardware mfgr. to update VGA drivers.  But isn't that what I fixed when I installed the new card?  Help?

16 Posts

January 25th, 2009 13:00

Question/ theory:  I don' t have much experience with video stuff.  When I installed my new video card, I had to disable my old onboard one to make everything work.  Yet the Cyberlink software I am trying to load still says I don't have the correct VGA driver.

Is it possible that eve with the old onboard video card disabled, that the software is still detecting that card and/ or driver somehow instead of the new one that I'm running on?  i.e. is there anything else I need to do to make sure that the old one is disabled, or even delete the old drivers somehow?

It's just a theory, but at this point I'm reduced to guessing.

16 Posts

January 28th, 2009 15:00

Can someone please translate this for me?

Frm Cyberlink:

"Contact your PC hardware manufacturer to update the VGA Drivers.

Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Sound Devices
Date and Size: 2/28/2003 "

4.6K Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

Can someone please translate this for me?

Frm Cyberlink:  "Contact your PC hardware manufacturer to update the VGA Drivers.

Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer. "

The 'nv4_disp.dll' is a file installed by the Nvidia Forceware graphics drivers.

The rest of the message is simply telling you that the file in question hasn't been digitally signed by Nvidia (an official - but not absolutely necessary (for the end user) requirement from Microsoft).

Are you not able to continue with the installation after you get that message - because normally you can - via a 'Continue Anyway' button?

Did you download/install the latest drivers available on the Dell website?  What version/date are they?

Or did you download/install the latest drivers for your card off the Dell website?

If the ones on the Dell website, are older than the ones available directly from Nvidia, I'd suggest using the Nvidia drivers.

Although it's recommended you use the graphics drivers offered by Dell for their laptops - especially if it's an on-board graphics chip, it's not important to do so for a dedicated graphics card you've bought and fitted yourself in a desktop system.

If you're using Windows XP - get the latest drivers for the FX5200 (v175.19 - dated 18th July 2008) here.

If you're using Vista - get the latest drivers (weirdly - they're a much, much earlier release - v96.85 dated 2006 :emotion-3: :emotion-40:) here.

Try reinstalling the drivers, rebooting the system, then installing the Cyberlink software again?

16 Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

This did the trick.  Thanks SO much!  The people on this forum continue to amaze me.  I am very thankful. Woohoo!

4.6K Posts

January 30th, 2009 13:00

This did the trick.

I'm very glad you've finally got things sorted :emotion-21: 

It's like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders, when you finally manage to solve such problems, isn't it!

But can you please confirm what it was that did the trick?

I'm assuming it was one or other of the driver sets from the links I posted, but it would be beneficial to anyone else with the same graphics card, who might have a similar problem in the future, if you confirmed which of them worked for you.

In doing so, it'll also confirm what OS you're using - which could also prove useful :emotion-5:

Assuming it was one or other of those driver sets of course, and not something someone else advised you to try?

Either way... it's best to confirm it.

16 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

I'm on XP, so the fix for me was the WHQL certified driver update for the FX5200 (v175.19 - dated 18th July 2008) here.

No Events found!