Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 24th, 2008 06:00

Best way to OC the 630i

Hey,

I'm recently trying to OC my 630 to around 3ghz. I have red about it, and it should be easy doable with stock volt and cooler.

But as i tried, i coudn't do it the old way.. trough the bios. Simply because i can't find anything there that alows me to adjust the FSB...  I can change the volt, the mem, etc.. but not the FSB

So i tried the Nvidia tool.. but that is really anoying. I reached 2.7ghz with no prb, but as soon as i hitted 2.8, it still loaded to windows.. but then the whole screen just froze and you coudn't do anything. The only way to undo it, was to go to save mode and delete the profile you made in the Nvidia tool.

Have any of you have experience with Oc'ing your 630 and what result did you get? And especially, how did you managed to get it?

Kind regards,

526 Posts

May 7th, 2008 16:00

Yeah, guess I need to note my stock fan-cooled temps (idle & load) before I install the water.  I'll do that this evening.

I'm beginning to think that even though Dell unlocked the BIOS to allow OC'ing, that the board is just not a real OC mobo, and is still limited compared to others.  Hence the reason I was thinking about another - it's just that I don't know how the master I/O board will interact with a non-Dell mobo.

526 Posts

May 7th, 2008 21:00

Instructions on how to apply Arctic Silver 5, directly from Arctic Silver:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

m$ - regarding my temps, remember I don't have the same CPU as you so it's likely the info won't help you as much as someone with the same processor.

526 Posts

A couple of interesting things I noted from the Nautilus installation instructions.  First, they don't mention to do any leak testing. :smileysurprised:  Second, the instructions indicate how much thermal compound to apply, and then to spread the compound over the top of the CPU evenly with a card.  I assume this is for the thermal paste that Corsair includes with the Nautilus, because Arctic Silver's instructions are very different.  I'm thinking I should follow Arctic Silver's directions for applying the Arctic Silver 5 paste, and not Corsair's instructions - thoughts?

597 Posts

Rambler,  i've used that link/method before, but thanx for the link again.  ;)

I guess i'm more interested in the delta of your temps, idleVload.

526 Posts

May 7th, 2008 23:00

@Mr. Scary wrote:

also i'm reading in another thread that our setup with the 650I and mobo are not supporting esa.???.???

Can you reference (link to) that thread?  I'd really like to check it out - now that I'm possibly considering a new mobo.

526 Posts

May 8th, 2008 01:00

I think I'll go with the Arctic Silver instructions, as that's the paste I'm using.

Here are my initial temps at idle and load, with the 630 OC'd @ 3.2GHz.  I had the PC on for a while, then ran RealTemp when it was idle.  Then I ran OCCT for almost 2 minutes and grabbed the second shot.

At idle:

At load:

Not that much of a difference I think.  I also believe when the Dell tech arrived and replaced my mobo and CPU, that he placed too much thermal paste on.  I'll take pics when I remove the stock HSF and show what that's like.

597 Posts

May 8th, 2008 01:00

man i don't know, it's a toss of for me.  maybe try spreading the artic paste the way corsair says??  kinda the best of both worlds or do the artic way only.  you probably could try them both.  also, i'd do the leak test if it were me.  

i'll try to find the link and post it for ya or pm it to ya, give me a bit.

526 Posts

June 12th, 2008 21:00

It really all depends on the type of RAM you have, and you don't list what it is.  Use CPU-Z to get your RAM's timing properties and such.  Some RAM can't be OC'd very well, or even at all.

4 Posts

June 12th, 2008 21:00

I am still having problems OC'ing my PC2-6400 memory with all the timings and settings mentioned in this thread and the links listed.  I have the CPU OC'd to 3.0GHz and working well, but any changes to memory from 800mhz to 900mhz with any timing settings mentioned doesnt boot.  Suggestions?

4 Posts

June 12th, 2008 22:00

ok...I see the timings in CPU-Z

6-6-6-18-24 2T

Do I just up the mhz from 800 to 900 and use the above timings? What about voltage?

Also says DRAM Freq 400mhz and FSB:DRAM 5:6, Dual DDR2 4096MBytes.

526 Posts

Do you have the standard Dell 800MHz memory?  If so, you'll probably have to loosen the timings some to get higher than 800MHz.  You'll also likely have to increase memory voltage as well.  However, how high you can go with voltage is manufacturer dependent.  Go too high and you risk frying your memory.  With that RAM and the timings you listed, I don't see you getting any better performance than 800MHz.  Trying to increase MHz with memory that doesn't support it can actually slow down your system.

I suggest if you're truely serious about overclocking your RAM, that you purchase memory that can handle overclocking better - Corsair, OCZ, etc.  I'd go the name brand route, as those two I listed have support forums where you can get help to your questions.  Good luck!

4 Posts

great idea...seems the standard dell memory is my bottleneck so I will purchase some of the OCZ memory that was mentioned...great price and good ratings.

Thanks for the help.  BTW, I got the settings working and its seems stable...i will work with it a little more to see what I can do.

Thanks again!!

No Events found!