Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2015 16:00

Best way to Update new XPS8700 Drivers?

What is the best method of updating drivers? I tried several times to download Dell System Detect and while the website thinks it downloaded the file, it did not. I used my Service Tag to identify my computer and noticed the first option for the BIOS driver update was for the A10 Bios, while my new computer has a A08 Bios. So my confidence level in the Dell site for driver updates is not high. Is it best to use Device Manager and download updates individually from there? Or is one of the free 3rd party software products that supposedly do this a good option? Thanks for whatever recommendations you might have.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2015 18:00

first option for the BIOS driver update was for the A10 Bios, while my new computer has a A08 Bios. So my confidence level in the Dell site for driver updates is not high. I

Huh?

If you have BIOS A08 and A10 is offered, what's wrong with that? A10 is obviously a newer version than A08 and was only released very recently.

You can't use Device Manager to download drivers from Dell's site. Your best bet is to look for new drivers based on the hardware actually installed in your PC (look on invoice that came with the PC, or click the Configuration link on the Support page).

You can compare the version of the driver in Device Manager with the one being offered to see whether you have the latest or not.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 11:00

Hang a nanosec...

A BIOS update is not the same as a driver update. BIOS is stored on a chip on the motherboard while driver software is stored on the hard drive.

Either you have BIOS A08 or you don't. You can't "update" BIOS with the same version. So either you stay with A08 or you update the chip on the motherboard using the A10 software that's offered on the Dell site.

To update BIOS, you need to close all apps and disable your antiviral software (eg, McAfee, Norton, etc) , and disconnect all peripherals except mouse, monitor and keyboard before going further. Then you can double-click on the Windows version of the BIOS A10 file that's been downloaded to your desktop and let it update the chip on the motherboard. Do not interrupt the update and don't power the system off.

Do not run a BIOS update if there's any chance the power might blink or if there are thunderstorms in your area. If a BIOS update fails, you will need a new motherboard.

It's not exactly clear what was done to improve A10 over A08, so unless you're having problems, I'd suggest you stay with A08, at least for now.

But you can still update the drivers for video card, etc...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 16:00

No problem.

That page is actually for Drivers and Downloads, so the BIOS update would be a Download rather than a driver. :emotion-5:

Hope you enjoy your new toy!

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

Thank you again. Did not receive a list of components with the invoice. The configuration link is not helpful as it lists many small parts like screws, and for the major components is not very specific. It also does not list my Radeon graphics card. However, I can look at the specific components in device manager, along with currently installed drivers, and compare that to what driver updates are available for my Service Tag on the Dell website. So this should work. Re the Bios, I never upgraded a Bios before, but imagine to get from A08 to A10 would require more than downloading the A10 driver update from the Dell site. The Dell site does list the latest A08 driver update, as well as the update for the A10, so maybe best to just ensure A08 driver is up to date.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 13:00

I will stay with the A08 Bios for now. If I want to upgrade in the future I understand your instructions. A source of my confusion was the categorization on the Dell website where they list the A10 file download in the Drivers and Downloads area where everything else in that area is a driver update, and in the section where they describe the A10 file download they entitle it "Driver Detail". I understand to possibly later upgrade the Bios from A08 to A10 I would download this file and then follow your instructions. Thanks for your help and patience.

No Events found!