Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 6th, 2007 08:00

Bios Boot Error at Checkpoint [lthr]

Dear Techies: After a recent power "burp" my machine turned off. Upon trying to get the machine to boot (XP Home, SP2, Dimension 3100, Bios Version 1.1 A04) The following error msg came up: "Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [lthr]" I can get the machie boot....any ideas??? Thanks! BWET

1.3K Posts

September 6th, 2007 15:00

bwet

You might want to try this..........

Boot failed at checkpoint Ithr -- this solution works for me
My Dimension 4700 (P4 2.8 with HT, 1.0 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, Windows XP
Home Edition SP2) has been giving me some problems for quite a while now
with regards to the above referenced error. It will simply not POST at all.
The cryptic error evidently references some kind of temperature monitoring
of the Intel processor.

All the information I have gathered so far indicate anything from faulty USB
cards to a failing motherboard to a bad RAM chip. I have no idea what is
causing the problem, which seems to be very common with these units. But I
do know what makes it boot again.

I unplug the tower and rip off the side panel. Depress the power switch for
about five seconds to bleed off any latent power in the system, pop out the
battery and wait a few minutes. Pop the battery back in, button up the
tower and plug in the power cord, keyboard and mouse and monitor. Power up
the system and it boots. It has done this three times in the last seven or
eight months and this routine has fixed it every time.

You have to get into the BIOS and tell it to disable the onboard audio,
forget about any floppy drives, and set the clock. It forgets all this
information, apparently, when you leave the battery out for a few minutes.
I hope this information will be of some assistance to someone who is having
this issue. It took me about a week to find all the information the first
time this happened.

MD

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 7th, 2007 02:00

You may also need to replace the battery with a fresh one after removing the old one. If you press/hold the power button on front of tower for ~15 sec after removing the battery, you're good to reinstall it and try booting.

Ron

2 Posts

September 7th, 2007 11:00

RoHe wrote: You may also need to replace the battery with a fresh one after removing the old one. If you press/hold the power button on front of tower for ~15 sec after removing the battery, you're good to reinstall it and try booting. Ron
Hi All: We have gotten the BIOS to boot and noted that the fan had stopped working (duh). This caused some overheating. Non the question is what is the procedure for getting a P/N on a new fan? rtms or ??? Thanks BWET

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 8th, 2007 03:00

Contact Dell Spare Parts with your service tag number. They should be able to fix you up with the right fam.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/DellPartsFamily.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Ron

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2007 23:00

I had a 12+ hour power outage today due to work where I live and now I'm getting the lthr error on my Dimension 8200 as well. Could it be battery related? I'm getting a single beep when I boot up and the status lights are A-yellow B-yellow C-green D-Green.

Message Edited by portow on 09-23-2007 08:17 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 24th, 2007 18:00

portow

Disconnect PC from mains
Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
Open case and remove battery
Press/hold power button again
Reinstall battery (right side up!)
Close case
Reboot.

Ron

2 Posts

September 25th, 2007 00:00

Ah! This afternoon I recalled something similar happening before and it having to do with my USB devices. I unplugged all my USB devices (including the keyboard and mouse), powered up and ta~da - I booted up fine. Replugged USB Keyboard and mouse, making sure the keyboard is the first device and the mouse the second device and I'm as good as new. Thanks for the tip, though, Ron. I'll keep it in mind if my "USB fix" doesn't work again.

Message Edited by portow on 09-24-2007 08:54 PM

1 Message

October 19th, 2007 15:00

I'm getting the Error at Checkpoint [lthr] message also, but the machine keeps rebooting every couple of seconds so it took a while to get the whole error message.

I tried powering off and removing all USB devices and powering on again, no change.

I tried powering off, unplugging, discharge, battery removal, discharge again, wait a while, replace battery, power on... no change.

Also, this is a new board/processor combo we just installed because of some warranty issue. I'm new to helping this particular department out, so I don't have access currently to the trouble ticket with Dell and the warranty's out right now so I don't think they'll assist if I remember correctly.

Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 19th, 2007 18:00

StevieRaveOn

Always include the system model in your posts. :(

New mobo and Pentium? Or just a new combination? Are you sure the combination is compatible? Did this combo ever work, or DOA out of their boxes?

Only "sure" fix I know for that BIOS error message (assuming not a hardware failure) is forced reset of BIOS which is what you did by pulling the battery and holding the power button on the tower.

Ron

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 19:00

I ran across a similar situation with a Dell 8400 --- unplugging, discharging, removing the battery, discharging again even reseated all the cards and memory sticks, etc and all with no success. It was after reseating the processor, the machine got past post, and Windows began booting, and just when all seemed to be resolved it blue screened on me with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with a STOP value of 0x00000050.

Now it's to determine if there is bad RAM (main memory, L2 cache, or video) or a MB that's gone bad.

No Events found!