Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2011 14:00

Bios ROM files ... extraction method?

There is no way I am doing bios updates in windows, yet the only method provided by Dell atm seems to be through thier downloadable windows installer package.

NO NO NO NO NO, this is NOT acceptable! There was a method to extract theses, a switch that would write out the file -writeromfil or -extractromfile.

THERE MUST still be an extraction method, I have several machines that need to get updates so that 7 can be installed.

I am really not wanting to take that much risk....I like to have more control over the process than that? Is there still an extraction method or a library where i can get the required files? I am not finding one and the knowledge base says it is not working for like 5 hours...

Help plz !?! ty in advance!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 25th, 2011 15:00

no no no there isnt.

MSDOS is another option.

Motherboard makers got tired of their bios being hijacked and resold.

Older Dell Motherboards were OEM intel motherboards.

This isnt true anymore.

Too bad there wasn't a USB flash drive standard

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 25th, 2011 20:00

We still offer the DOS option on some models. The Dell Service Production Manager for each model decides how they want the Bios files distributed. For example, the Aurora-R3 offers a Bios Flash that can be run from DOS -

* Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
* NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the DOS system files
* Copy the file AuroraR3-A06.exe to a bootable floppy
* Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt
* Run the file by typing Y:\AuroraR3-A06.exe (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located)

11 Posts

August 25th, 2011 20:00

oh msdos is another option... why do you think I want  those files?

you should only do bios update from dos, yet only windows package is provided, and then support information says your on your own.

So the worst method possible is provided, no other option and it's the most likely to currupt the bios and brick the mobo?

I don't care who steals what if your going to sell the stuff you need to provide the support for it. Yes?

I do not seem to have this problem with anyone else I have had to work with.....so far.

So not a problem, if it come to  a choice when one gets bricked....as to buy mobo or whole new machine....DELL will NOT be in the recomendation at that point.

See what I'm saying?

1 Message

December 17th, 2012 21:00

File is not executable in Dos mode (period)(exclamation point). WinVost263.EXE

No Events found!